Ford doesn't recommend brake fluid changing...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this rather surprising when I asked my local Ford dealer how much they charge for a brake flush.

Is there something unique to Ford's brake system that would keep moisture out of the fluid? It doesn't make much sense to me.

Any other brands that don't recommend brake fluid replacement?

It does need to be replaced, Ford just doesn't recommend it. It will turn black and absorb moisture just like the other brands.

I need to get it changed soon on my 2 year old Focus.

The dealer changed mine not so long ago and it actually came as a recommendation from them to do so. I am not sure if this was my dealer going the extra mile or surfing for more work. Since the humidity here is usually 200% (well, okay, 80-95%), I changed it to remove any moisture and bring the boiling point back to where it should be.

Dont recommend it but is there mention of a moisture test in the FSM or something?

Id replace it every so often. Euro manufacturers recommend every year or every other depending upon make. I think 2-5 years is probably reasonable for non severe mountain/non autobahn use.

I guess one of the assumptions may be that since brakes are wear items, fluid will get exchanged at the caliper when brakes are serviced. Does the FSM make recommendation to open the bleeder when pushing back the pads?

most of the Ford manuals say inspect. You can get some brake fluid test strips and verify for yourself if you need a fluid exchange or not. Anything 200 ppm of Cu or above is recommended replacement. Thats how we do it at my shop, and thats what MAP guidelines suggest.

Bleed some out of a caliper into a Dixie cup and compare with new. You can judge. Brake fluid absorbs water. Water can cause rust. Maybe less often in Arizona than Florida because of the humidity. Maybe the cold then hot of New England will be worse.

Its cheap and you can do it yourself. No tools except a bleeder wrench. And some unopened brake fluid.

The bleeder screws can get corroded and rusted on. PB Blaster before and a 6 pt wrench.

Brake systems are supposed to be "sealed" anyways, but can't be 100% airtight.

I think that's Ford's way of saying "change it the day after the warranty expires".

Where does the Cu copper come from? The brake line is steel as is the master cylinder and caliper and piston. Piston is chrome plated.

How about people who replace rusted brake line with a copper-nickel brake line?

Originally Posted By: dparm
Brake systems are supposed to be "sealed" anyways, but can't be 100% airtight.

I think that's Ford's way of saying "change it the day after the warranty expires".

Sealed from dust not vapor.

I think it's silly to not regularly flush brake fluid. The anti lock systems are stunningly expensive, susceptible to moisture induced corrosion and damage and difficult to replace.

Plus failure may be risky, as it might not indicate a failure until the anti lock feature needs to be engaged, and it fails, as you skid to a stop.

Originally Posted By: J. A. Rizzo
DOT 5 brake fluids are silicone-based and might never need to be flushed. What fluid does the OP vehicle specify?

Most likely DOT 3. I don't think there has been a Ford made in recent memory that takes DOT 5.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Where does the Cu copper come from? The brake line is steel as is the master cylinder and caliper and piston. Piston is chrome plated.

How about people who replace rusted brake line with a copper-nickel brake line?

The copper comes from the seam in steel brake line tubing. This is the most common type. If your lines are seamless or are not steel the test strips will read off the scale in one direction or the other.

Don't use DOT 5 in a late model car. It doesn't work with antilock brake systems (the bottles even specifically say NOT to use it in ABS), and it doesn't mix with DOT 3.

I believe some years ago, Ford sampled brake fluid at auto salvage yards and found very little moisture. Perhaps this explains why they do not require brake fluid exchange?

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Plus failure may be risky, as it might not indicate a failure until the anti lock feature needs to be engaged, and it fails, as you skid to a stop.

Don't most modern ABS systems do a self test within the first stop or so? I know I can sometimes hear the ABS pumps cycle when I first start up if I don't have the audio on. You can definitely hear it cycling some pump.

Some current thinking/ideas about brake flushing is that copper leaching from brake lines is responsible for brake system degradation, not so much from moisture. Hence, the use of the strips that check for the presense of copper, as mentioned in previous posts. I change my brake fluid often-it's easy and cheap. Wichever it is, copper or moisture can't be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back