This fixed oil consumption in toyota 1ZZ-FE engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I would try filling the cylinders up with toluene or something strong and letting it sit for a couple weeks.

Then maybe a bunch of kreen in the gas and oil.

But thats a long shot.

Good luck and keep us updated

Let me just add one data point. I bought my 05 Corolla with 37K miles in 2008. Started to use PP right away, and it consumed about 1/2 qt every 5000 miles, which was, and still is my OCI. I was fine with that, topped it off regularly, keeping it at or just below max fill (old dipstick). Than gradually the consumption decreased, and by 80-90K (I don't remember exactly) it stopped altogether. Now at 107K, still using PP, no consumption, oil kept at old dipstick max level.

Last edited:
What I have found over the years is a good slow clean with Synthetic Oil. It seems to clean better and safer. Have bought used and since I worked at Dealership at that time I got the cheap ones for my daily driver. Most were nasty to say the least. Changed oil on short intervals with synthetic then ran synthetic every so often and afterwards changed gaskets and noticed engine noticeably cleaner and little to no oil consumption.

Thanks for the update. Not sure how Kreen compares to Mopar's combustion chamber cleaner but I used Mopar's stuff at least 5 years ago to do a piston soak on a 4.0 that ran rich for a long time and it did a good job getting rid of the knock.

Then again any soak might have had helped with that case...

However, I remember using the left over on the mowers' valves when I had them out for an overhaul and was pretty amazed at how well it melted the carbon right off. It got off that hard set carbon that's a royal pain to get off very easily.

Again that was a while ago and as we all know formulas change... sometimes for the worse. I did find a MSDS on Google for the stuff but it looks severely dated, looks like a good amount of strong solvents.

Originally Posted By: tarbasd
Let me just add one data point. I bought my 05 Corolla with 37K miles in 2008. Started to use PP right away, and it consumed about 1/2 qt every 5000 miles, which was, and still is my OCI. I was fine with that, topped it off regularly, keeping it at or just below max fill (old dipstick). Than gradually the consumption decreased, and by 80-90K (I don't remember exactly) it stopped altogether. Now at 107K, still using PP, no consumption, oil kept at old dipstick max level.

Yours has the new and revised pistons, so not exactly apples to apples, but good point on using one brand oil. Unfortunately my oil stash consists of FAR or otherwise very discounted oils of various brands, so I can't do that yet. That gives me also a chance to experiment more.

Update:
Like I predicted, the consumption came back. Actually sooner than I thought, near 3000 miles into 5000 OCI with Maxlife synth. Fortunately, it's very slow at the current rate 1qt/3000 miles.
I will be doing oil change soon with Castrol Edge and will repeat Kreen soak.

Mobil Super High Mileage 5w-30 stopped the slight oil use in my '02 Accord V6(132,000). I think the blends may be better than the full syns at stopping oil use.

I was lucky enough to purchase a 2001 Toyota Corolla for my daughter last summer. Thought that a mint (no rust) Toyota Corolla with 95K would last her a long time. I soon found out why the previous owner traded it in. I bought it from a dealer that bought it at an auction but it was incrediably clean. During the first month, I noticed excessive oil usage then started to do some research. I then learned about the issues with the 8th gen Toyota engines. Yikes! I just bought some Kreen and I am now looking to do a piston soak (just did one with MMO). It appears that this will help the issue. What are the steps to effectively perform this procedure? How much Kreen, how long to soak, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back