Impact Wrench on Crowfoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it safe to use an impact gun on a crowfoot? I read where someone used an impact gun on a crowfoot to remove an inner tie rod. I guess if you are prepared for and able to control the reaction forces on the impact it could work. I did a google search and did not come up with anything. Thanks for your help.

I've never seen a crowfoot that was rated for impact use....it would be like using an impact on a regular socket....it might work once, but you're asking for trouble - broken tools, metal shards flying, etc...

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I've never seen a crowfoot that was rated for impact use....it would be like using an impact on a regular socket....it might work once, but you're asking for trouble - broken tools, metal shards flying, etc...

I am guessing most, if not all, inner tie rod tools are made for impact. My concern is the impact gun axis being offset.

Don't do it. The impact wrench will rotate around the center of the crows foot and may bust your nuckels.

Here's a crowsfoot ... it's an open end wrench head with a square ratchet drive opening:

I use an impact on my inner tie rod tool but its made for that, it is not a crows foot but an insert in the tools tube which is linear not offset like a crows foot.

I don't think an impact will work well with a crow foot socket, it wouldn't as much torque and it would possibly whip stuff around like nobody's business once it broke free.
The more i think about it the less i want to try it. lol

Originally Posted By: Trav
I use an impact on my inner tie rod tool but its made for that, it is not a crows foot but an insert in the tools tube which is linear not offset like a crows foot.

I don't think an impact will work well with a crow foot socket, it wouldn't as much torque and it would possibly whip stuff around like nobody's business once it broke free.
The more i think about it the less i want to try it. lol

Yeah, that is what I thought! Here is the tool I am going to try. I could not rent or buy a kit like you have that had the right size crowfoot. This looks like it should work very well with an extension & breaker bar. Thought it could be a candidate for an impact gun because it won't fly off. The only reason I was thinking impact was to reduce stress on the rack.

http://www.amazon.com/Great-Neck-OEM-25296-Inner/dp/B00825PQW2

Not to take focus away from the subject.

But i have bin using regular 6 point and 12 point sockets on impact wrenches . In 1/2" 3/4" and 1" for 10 years in a truckshop. And i have never noticed any broken sockets.think it is a question of quality.

Back to the subject. Don.t do it :)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED

... a crowsfoot ... it's an open end wrench head with a square ratchet drive opening:
Okay, I have seen them before. Thanks.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Don't do it. The impact wrench will rotate around the center of the crows foot and may bust your nuckels.

This^^^

Would just be a smaller version of fitting your impact to the boxed end of a combination wrench, think about it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back