Particle count methods. and general info...

This is taken from BITOG poster "SW Heat" in another thread:

"This is not an accurate ISO 4406:99 (or ISO 4406:MTD, new standard) particle count IMHO. It "may" be accepted and OK for an ISO 4406:86 (or ISO 4406:ACFTD old standard). Blackstone uses the "pore blockage" method of testing. It is unclear if it is a 10 micron or 15 micron screen. The rest is mathmatical extrapolation for a "normal" particle distribution. A bypass filter should produce anything but a "normal particle distribution" IMHO."

Here is an article from "Practicing Oil Analysis" Magazine Nov. 2005. Particle Count article with descriptions of each method.
It explains very well the different kinds of particle counting available. I have found a lab that will do particle counting with the ISO 11171 method and will be using them in the future for particle counts to get an authentic ISO 4406:99 cleanliness code count of 4,6, 14 microns. I will leave the "pore blockage" and "mathmatical" conjecture to others.

On a side note, the particle count cost that I will be getting is less than what Blackstone charges. It pays to be informed and to shop around.

Other articles of interest:
"The importance of ISO Cleanliness Codes" in Machinery Lubrication Magazine

"Lubricant Cleanliness" article of NTS, Inc.

Nice information, and yes the distribution of particle sizes would definitely not be a normal distribution with a bypass filter in the loop. It would definitely be truncated at some point. GOOD STUFF!

This is all good. I think the ISO 11171 is the calibration test standard for the APC equipment, not the cleanliness standard.

Back