One of the most intersting bike ever built

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can enjoy that 'sectioned, radial engine' sound that is provided by a muffled H-D. An H-D w/ a set of straights is simply obnoxious & makes me wonder just how anti-social that rider really is. Would he want me running an un-muffled generator in my back yard? I doubt that. What about a set of tri-tone train horns in my Cummins Ram? Let fly w/ a set of those danged things on a quiet afternoon out in front of his house & he'll be unlocking the gun cabinet...

They are just showing off, that's what I think. I have been to the scenes of motorcycles being cut-off by left-turn bandits. The bandits in question (stereotypically female, for what that's worth...) were coming at the bike & all claimed to have never seen the bike until it was going over their hood. You want to be SEEN. I think one of those annoying (that's the point!) headlight modulators & that new safety green may be the thing. I'm probably going to pass on the headlight thing, but I think a new black & high-vis green Aerostich might in my future.

I love to ride my motorcycle. Have been doing so since 1988. I wear all the gear, all the time & ride to be seen. If that left-turn bandit isn't making eye-contact w/ me as I approach, I reduce speed & get into Condition Orange from Yellow (to praphrase Col. Cooper!). I have moved to the yellow line & stopped (allowing somebody behind to avoid me) because the twit wasn't seeing me. He turned across me as I was RIGHT THERE in front of him, large as life. Pipes? Don't pretend to be serious about that w/ me; we both know better. You put a straight pipe on because your ego & lack of self-worth demanded it.

John.

very well said John
smile.gif

prepare yourself for either denial (likely) or an onslaught of delusional babbling.....

Pictogramme-Merci-de-votre-respect.jpg

Incidentally, here are some of the road signs I rode past (Hwy 344, West of Montreal) earlier today during my ride. Translated to English, it says "Thank you for your respect" (notice that the profile of the motorcycle used in NOT of a sportbike, or a standard either... no sir, it's a posercycle). This is part of a pilot project aimed at raising awareness with the half-wits who ride around with open pipes (and, it follows, have no respect for others). It came about following NUMEROUS on-going complaints by residents living alongside this stretch of road. If this campaign doesn't work, authorities have let it be known that they are open to possibly banning bikes from the area (suffice to say if the response of the pipe-tards is consistent with what we've seen in this thread, it's just a matter of time before we are no longer allowed along this scenic and enjoyable road)..... No more bike accidents then, now THAT is safety at work!!!!!

The factory exhaust is always hard to beat for power. Open pipes move the torque curve up and lose bottom end pull on most platforms. And any gains you do get are very small, there's just not much power out there in a factory exhaust. Now weight, looks, etc, are another matter.

I'm no HD fan, but the weekenders are ruining the ride for a lot of us. I'll give Cahuna a free tip: Bet on the riceburner!

But just remember, when EVERYONE has loud pipes then they don't work anymore!

To those that down played the importance of rider training, and attitude, here's a great article from Keith Code. If you know anything about motorcycles, you know his credentials.

Quote:
In 2006, I was asked to develop a rider-training program for the U.S. Marine Corps. More Marines had been lost on American soil in riding mishaps than in the Iraq war during the same time period. My coaching staff and I developed an intense, two-day training program comprised of 25 individual exercises, each designed to bring the rider to a solid understanding of the basics involved and a hands-on familiarization with the limits of the most critical skills of riding. Eleven hundred “high risk” riders participated in that two-day program. Subsequent to their training, to date, only one of its graduates has had a fatal accident and two others sustained broken bones. Out of 1100.

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/featur.../#ixzz2bFIzPzxq

What saves more lives? Loud pipes, or changing the riders skill set and attitude?

BigCahuna,
Your silence is deafening. It's almost as loud as the straight pipes that you claim make riding safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back