Glazed walls

Status
Not open for further replies.
mechtech2, I always agree with your posts.

I just don't like the [censored] shoot of breaking in an engine.

Some people end up with a quart of consumption every 1,000 miles and some people don't.

I hit it lucky. I have a Honda, a classic oil burner, and have no consumption at all.

I just believe some of these theories may have a grain of truth to them.

But, I have only pulled apart 3 engines in my life, all three at school!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
Aircraft engines require an agressive break in procedure. If not done properly, they will consume oil forever!
I am in favor of agressive break in for nearly all engines, after a few minor heat cycles. An exception may be very precise motorcycle engines that run extremely high stress levels due to RPM's in the high teens. In this case, caution is necessary. The minor friction loads of new parts can break connecting rods that are already at the limit. Chris

Excellent points all. High load and larger throttle openings EARLY on is the hidden key to a long life engine. Many machinist will agree that the rotating assembly is either right or wrong so there is no reason to baby a new car around for hundreds of miles unless you want a burner!

couldn't disagree with you more---from my experience an overall low-load break in has worked for me many time. It is important to constantly vary the engine load, I choose hilly terrain---but nothing more than 1/2 throttle for the first 500 miles. You can usually feel the engine lighten up between 200-300 miles and you know it's done, for the most part. Guess it really doesn't matter all that much as your engines and my engines apparently last a very long time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back