Norton eating my lunch? (and other stuff..)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, my current labtop has comcast's Norton Security Suite. It worked great when I first got it. But as of right now, I can't even click on the Norton icon at the moment. That, and it wants to add all sorts of stuff. And I thought this was the good norton...
crazy.gif

Should I just dump comcast's version? (yes, a freebie),
And if yes, what is a good freebie to replace it with right now? Used to use AVG, not sure what the choice is now....

Wow, I am practically in the same boat, ie I am now using Norton on my home old Windows XP computer and in the past I was with AVG paid version. I had some problems installing the online free version of Norton. One of my brothers had offered to take my computer to GeekSquad at BestBuy as he had purchased a package deal for his family and he had a left over service for one computer as part of that deal. I had turned down that offer a while ago, but recently when I had problems switching to Norton I asked him to take the computer to them. He did, and when I got it back there was a problem with the CD reader so he took it to them again. It looks like the blank CDs I have are the problem. So far Norton has been pretty good. Yesterday it was terribly, slow during the day, but at night it worked fine. I now think that yesterday the internet connection (not my computer) was having some problems.

Run malwarebytes or another freebie scanner. Sounds like you have "something" aboard.

I am dumping NAV on all of my systems and going with MSE. NAV seems to have more conflicts in the last year. So, why pay?

A great way to allow malwarebytes or others work better is a tiny program called RKill. It tries (and is usually successfull) in terminating most of the nasty program. Run Rkill then run you antimalware of choice. RKill does not remove anything, just stops viruses and allows your antimalware an easier go of removing stuff. If you just run RKill then rebooot, the virus will restart and nothing is accomplished.

ComboFix is another program that I have had success with, but it is a bit aggressive.

My general regiment is reboot in a safe made (not as much [censored] running), turn off Windows anitvirus, run RKill, then Malwarebytes, then ComboFix, then reboot, and turn Windows antivirus back on.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
I am dumping NAV on all of my systems and going with MSE. NAV seems to have more conflicts in the last year. So, why pay?

Except that MSE is not very reliable when it comes to zero-day and heuristics, so I hope you are very careful with what you're doing. It's so poor that AV-Comparitives has actually excluded it from their tests.

I dumped NAV earlier in the year when they tried to pull a fast one. I looked at my bank statement and saw a charge of $85 for Norton. I called them and they said that my protection had expired and that was to renew NAV for one year. I looked at their website and I could sign up as a new customer for $49 for two years. They wouldn't budge on the price, so I told them I wanted my money back. After an hour on the phone, tech support (supposedly) removed NAV from my computer (with them trying to sell me more products during this time). I won't be using NAV ever again after that stunt.

Dump Norton and pay for ESET. You want something that does well at picking up a virus, and has a small footprint (memory & CPU) running on your system. ESET does both just fine.

I buy a 3 user copy from Amazon and each of my two daughters gets one license and I get the other. (And yes I pay entirely for the 3 user copy, that goes along with having daughters).

Also try doing a windows update. If you have any issues, something's broken, etc... you have malware.

Update...norton seems fine now...for some reason, windows have had a truckload of updates (good ol' Vista), which could have been part of the problem. Going to run malwarebytes just in case though....

Though the one thing that annoys me is that NAV is trying to stick itself everywhere....and not in a good way!

My 2 cents: Norton is a joke. The only program that is more of a joke is made by McAfee. AVG and Avast are my two favorites. The only issue is that they continually try to make you pay for the fee version. You just have to make sure to stick with the free version. AVG has less popups than Avast.

Norton was a terrible product a few years back, but the new version is one of the best antivirus products out there (verified by various online malware testing outfits). I'm using the Comcast version and it's the lightest antivirus I've used. The only problem I've found is the Norton Toolbar slows down Firefox a bit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donald
Dump Norton and pay for ESET. You want something that does well at picking up a virus, and has a small footprint (memory & CPU) running on your system. ESET does both just fine.

I buy a 3 user copy from Amazon and each of my two daughters gets one license and I get the other. (And yes I pay entirely for the 3 user copy, that goes along with having daughters).

Also a long-time ESET NOD32 user (going on 8 years I think). Consistently top-rated for performance (it is written in machine code!) and for protection. It doesn't always grab first place in the tests, but it is perpetually in the top 3 unlike others that seem to go through good/bad release cycles.

My free McAfee (thru ATT Uverse) runs fine and doesn't eat much resources at all. I think the secret to good running McAfee is to uncheck Scheduled Scanning, disable Net Guard and disable Automatic Updates.

I update manually every morning when I start my computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back