Status
Not open for further replies.
A01a.jpg

A01b.jpg

A01c.jpg

A01d.jpg

A01e.jpg

UOA

Looks good ... no end cap design like Toyota I see.

Looks excellent. The Honda filters seem to hold up very well. Im planning on cutting my Honda OEM A02 open after an OLM oil change. Should be another 6000 miles or so before that happens. Ill post pics! The A01 I cut open looked excellent, Im interested to see what the A02 looks like after the OLM run.

Last edited:
Almost no endcaps get a free pass here... but don't you dare make endcaps out of fiber media or the hostile hordes will come! Ha ha...

The filter looks great. LOTS of pleats too. And presumably Honda's spec'd horrible efficiency to go with it but clearly well made.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Raises some questions:

How was it cut, such as band saw, or some other way?

Did cutting it produce all or most of the metal flakes?

Is there an easy way to cut open an oil filter that does not produce metal flakes that add to the particles on the filter element?

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
Raises some questions:

How was it cut, such as band saw, or some other way?

Did cutting it produce all or most of the metal flakes?

Is there an easy way to cut open an oil filter that does not produce metal flakes that add to the particles on the filter element?

It was cut with a longacre cutter. I am not sure what you are seeing as "metal flakes".

Looks fine. Some thoughts as points of information though.

This filter is not the filter sold by the majority of Honda stealers in this region. The Fram made A02 is, so this filter must be ordered through places like H and A accessories or ebay generally in a bulk pack of 6 to shipping reduce cost. Including shipping to me, ebay price $40, HandA price $46, or ~$6.66 and ~$7.66 each respectively.

As river_rat's filtration comparisons showed and later confirmed by Amsoil test of OEM filters like the Toyota, no endcap design filters tend to be reletively inefficient filters. Though there is no published efficency spec for the A01, based on the A02 now known efficiency safe to assume the A01 is in the same ball park.

As Jim Allen posts here often, UOA by themselves don't indicate the efficiency or effectiveness of an oil filter. A particle count for those that believe in them may come closer to indicating the effectiveness/efficiency of the filter.

All that said, for some or all of those points of information don't matter. I'm just don't happen to be in that group. Not that I wouldn't use said A01, just cost for construction and efficiency not my first choice for the Hondas I maintain.
49.gif

Thanks for the pics.

Nice looking filter. You can see how they are confident enough to authorize long OCI and/or double FCI with this unit. Too bad they don't have better efficiency ( : < ).

Any know if there is a huge gpm difference been a low profile eng cap design like this compared to say a ultra?or is this mainly for cold start to preven false bypass pressure build up?lastly what would be the part number for a 1.6 liter engine?like fram 66xx

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
Any know if there is a huge gpm difference been a low profile eng cap design like this compared to say a ultra?or is this mainly for cold start to preven false bypass pressure build up?lastly what would be the part number for a 1.6 liter engine?like fram 66xx

The design of the end cap has no bearing on how much oil volume a filter can "flow". The filter will "flow" whatever the positive displacement oil pump will force through the media. The amount of delta-p across the media can be different with different filters under the same oil viscosity and flow conditions. It all depends on the "flow resistance" of the media itself, and the total flow area the media can provide.

Link: Read This for How Delta-P Works

The Ultra will flow better than most filters because it is full synthetic media.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back