Kitty litter jugs used to store used motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there anything wrong with using kitty litter jugs to transport used motor oil for recycling? I use Tidy Cats brand.

If that's what you have, GREAT! I don't think it matters what the container is as long as it doesn't leak
smile.gif

Are you asking because the jug is plastic?

The fresh, new oil is bottled in plastic. I believe the code on the bottom of both the Kitty litter jug and the oil bottle is the same.

The kitty litter jugs are made from thinner plastic (at least the ones I get are). Also they are 2 1/2 gallons. They could get very heavy. Be careful...

Originally Posted By: Milkman
The kitty litter jugs are made from thinner plastic (at least the ones I get are). Also they are 2 1/2 gallons. They could get very heavy. Be careful...

What is "very heavy"? They would be roughly 20 lbs filled with oil or gas or water. All around 8 lbs/gallon. Isn't that about the same weight when it filled with kitty litter from the store?

I think they are great, wide neck, handle. I have old gas in two.

My favorite container has become Arizona iced tea gallons. Very sturdy; nice wide opening.On sale, it's $1.99 a gallon and with the summer we've been having, I have lots of empty ones.

They work great!

They hold several oil changes worth so I don't have to recycle right away.

I've used the same three of them for >10 years (2 oil, 1 antifreeze).

An old windshield washer fluid jug, carved open near the top, will hold lots of filters after they've drained.

I used to let used oil accumulate in various types plastic jugs, mostly kitty litter jugs which I've reused for several years now, but once I used a milk carton jug and it had been sitting for some time in the shed til one day the plastic began disolving and I found a half gal of oil all over the floor.

No more milk cartons for me!

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Is there anything wrong with using kitty litter jugs to transport used motor oil for recycling? I use Tidy Cats brand.

No, They work great. Nice wide spout, stable on the bottom. Used them all the time until I got a recycling jug.

Originally Posted By: Zako2

Check the underside of the bottle for the notation "2" inside of a recycle symbol, and the additional note "HDPE". If you see those, then the bottle is the same substance as that used for motor oil jugs.

If the bottle is made of a crystal-clear plastic, then it's probably PVC. Look for a "3" inside the recycle symbol, along with a little "V" below that. It is not advisable to use these for motor oil: they can be brittle and can crack easily.

The thing I'd worry about with an HDPE kitty litter bottle would be the integrity of the lid. A kitty litter jug may not have a lid that will withstand impacts with liquid behind it, or it may have a wide-mouth lid that's prone to cracking. If so, be careful!

Originally Posted By: PhillyJoe
My favorite container has become Arizona iced tea gallons. Very sturdy; nice wide opening.On sale, it's $1.99 a gallon and with the summer we've been having, I have lots of empty ones.

+1. I have used the kitty litter jugs in the past but since we don't have a cat, I have to get them from people who do. My neighbor drinks the Arizona tea and puts the empties in her recycle bin so I'm always after her jugs.

I have been using the Tidy Cat containers for about 5 years now to store used oil and coolant too. Never had any problems at all with them. I use a wide funnel to avoid spills when I dump used oil from my drain pan into the cat litter container. I also use one of the bucket style Tidy Cat containers to store my used oil filters. Nice heavy duty plastic with a secure lid. Works great and I stash them all neatly under my work bench.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
...so I'm always after her jugs.

smile.gif

Photo of neighbor required.....

I always use old windshield washer fluid jugs to dump my motor oil into.

They seem to be made of a fairly robust plastic meant to contain a solvent, so they have never leaked on me before.

They have a handle, and a child proof cap so younger kids can't open it and dump it all over the ground.

Also, I always have access to these jugs just from filling up two cars with windshield washer fluid.

For oil filters I always use a big coffee can. When I am changing the filter the can is low so I just plop it in and it catches the drizzle from the filter mount too. I throw all my oil change rags in there and paper towels used for cleanup, then snap the lid shut to avoid spontaneous combustion.

For an oil catch can I always use the low ones with the spill guard "lip" and the small spout on the end so I just insert the spout into the windshield washer jug and have a mess and funnel free transfer.

I had a litter jug leak due to the thin plastic and was poorly mfgred, they all go in the recycle bin now... I suppose with careful inspection they'd be OK, but I ain't gonna bother...

The 2.5 gal jug that Purple Power comes in have been great, much thicker than the litter jugs, never a leak and can hold two changes worth of oil...

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Actually, clear bottles (soda, water, Gatorade, etc.) are usually PET (recycle symbol "1"), not PVC.

PET and PETE tend to get used for beverages and other liquids, especially in the smaller sizes. Larger sizes that are meant for dry goods -- such as certain fertilizers and kitty litter -- are often cheaper vinyl rather than more-expensive PET/E.

If any of you guys ever get in my part of the world please drop your used motor oil off in my waste tank.

I am getting paid a dollar a gallon for my waste oil and can't believe everyone still drops it off somewhere so someone else can get paid for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back