Purolator PureONE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use K&N because the wall thickness is about .020" vs PureOne which is paper thin at about .010". Mobil 1 is also very thick. I also use Supertech as they are well made and very efficient. Not really sure of K&N efficiency. Don't know about Hard Driver. Champion Labs makes M1, K&N, and Supertech. Can't go wrong here IMHO

My main problem with K&N oil filters is that they don't give any effeciency ratings on them and it is a non-synthetic media. I consider it to be an armored standard filter. If I am paying extra for a filter, I want it to filter better. The key features of the K&N are listed as being able to handle 550 PSI, flowing 12-16 GPM, filtering down to 10-20 microns(but no effeciency rating), being more impervious to rock and stone damage(another one I've never had happen)and having the admitedly nice features of the nut on the end and the safety wire holes. I have heard of the spot welds on the nut being defective and leaking, though that is covered by their warranty.

Personally, I've never seen a filter burst from overpressure. I've heard of it happening, but never seen or personally known anyone it's happened to. Purolator Pure One is a very high effeciency filter using synthetic media. It compares favorably to Mobil 1 and Amsoil. If you can get the AC UltraGuard Gold filter, it apears to be the best FF filter available at this time.

Harddriver filter are high effeciency for a non-synthetic media.

[ June 13, 2002, 07:54 PM: Message edited by: VaderSS ]

The K&N filters efficiency rating is 90% in the multipass test, and they claim to be a 15-20micron filter. I thought it did use a synthetic, or at least partially synthetic media?

I realize there are higher efficiency filters out there, but I think their numbers are adequate. I read an SAE report done by Mobil where they tested GM products in 1994. They changed the oil (Mobil 1) and standard filters at 15K intervals and after 200 K all wear parts came up to factory specs. Those were in the days of the 50% efficiency at 20-30 microns. So all in all I think adequate flow and a good oil may be more than adequate when coupled with a "good filter" Just MHO BTW a friend of mine many years ago had a filter split. I think its especially critical with GM products that have an internal bypass balve vs one in the filter.

Al, you raise a good point. I've always heard the low micron filter makers saying for years that their filters help reduce engine wear by 70%, but if standard filters show no wear, what's the point?

I do believe the expensive filters will filter out smaller particles, and have used them for years, but now I am starting to think it might be overkill. I know experts "say" that 5-20 micron particles will create more engine wear, but I honestly think most of those particles pass through the engine without harming a thing. And I also think there are less particles floating through the engine than you think, especially if you use a good air filter and a good oil. By using a good oil, your engine isn't going to put too many metal particles into the oil filter anyways.

So if you feel comfortable spending $12 on an oil filter, you aren't harming anything, but you might not really be extending your engine's life any more than the guy spending $3 on a quality normal filter.

I currently have a K&N on my wife's car, and one more waiting for the next oil change, but will probably go to AC Delcos after that. I'm running AC Delcos on my Firebird now.

I just read in some car magazine that Cummins did a study and they found that particles less than 10 microns did more wear than previously thought. Actually, the statistic they used was pretty amazing. They said something like three and a half times more wear was created by particles smaller than 10 microns than particles larger than 15.
shocked.gif

Those of you guys who think you might be able to get a hold of that study might want to check it out.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
I just read in some car magazine that Cummins did a study and they found that particles less than 10 microns did more wear than previously thought. Actually, the statistic they used was pretty amazing. They said something like three and a half times more wear was created by particles smaller than 10 microns than particles larger than 15.
shocked.gif

Those of you guys who think you might be able to get a hold of that study might want to check it out.

OH yes don't you like 3um filtration!!!!

You don't have to do any tests for me, just check out the picture on page 17 of the May issue of Lubes and greases.

Its a pic of particle counts with the best photo of the 3 micron continuous filtered oil!!!

For the price, the PureOne is hard to beat. It's filter element is every bit as good as any in the industry. It's thinner walls, compared to the M1 doesn't mean it's inferior, it just means the M1 is overbuilt! And they're half the price, the PureOnes that is!

[ July 02, 2002, 10:09 PM: Message edited by: bottgers ]

The one thing about the thicker wall of the Mobil 1 filter that makes it desirable is in an application where it might get hit by debris. On my old LS1 Formula for instance, I liked to run the much longer filters than stock, however it would also put the bottom of the oil filter just a tick below the oil pan. I never had a problem, but it was nice knowing that if something small hit it, the filter wouldn't be easily punctured.

We have PureONEs up here, and I used to buy them for my wife's car until the speed shop that carries them raised their price from $11.99 CDN to $17.99 CDN!
frown.gif
Since then I started buying the K&N oil filters for her car, as they go on sale for $14.99 every once in a while. But I'll probably switch her car over to a regular AC Delco filter when my current supply of K&Ns runs out. The AC Delco is only $3 and change for her car. After Terry told me there is no noticeable different on oil analysis with the expensive filters, I've wondered if I should continue spending so much on the premium filters. $15 vs $3 is a big difference to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back