Test Drive - 2014 Silverado LT Crew Cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been thinking about adding a pick-up truck to my fleet. So earlier tonight, I went to the local Chevy dealer and test drove a 2014 SIlverado LT Crew Cab with the "short" 5'8" bed.

While I've always wanted a truck for its versatility, I have never been a truck enthusiast...so you are not going to find a long, detailed review.

With that said, I found the build quality to be excellent and the drivetrain to be superb. The six-speed auto, while a little busy, shifted smoothly and had a predictable shift pattern. The 5.3L, direct-injected V8 delivered plenty of power and the NVH was well-controlled. I should add that the engine takes Dexos 0w-20 and the transmission still has a dipstick.

In terms of on-road performance, the std-grade suspension was only slightly more bouncy than a car (fyi this is coming from someone who has never driven a truck before), and I found the ride quality to be surprisingly good. This truck did have the 18" GY Assurance CS Fuel Max tires, which may have helped its ride quality. Also, I found the highway road noise to be minimal - and get ready, much lower than my Prius!

Overall, I was VERY impressed by the truck as a whole. The driving experience, build quality and attention to the detail was impressive. I have not driven the F150 or the RAM, so I cannot make any comparisons, but I was very impressed by the SIlverado....and y'all know how picky I can be.

Nice looking truck.

With that said...

$38k for what is listed on the lower right hand of the sticker and the past of the company will never have me spend my $$ for a new one.

Glad I'm not in the market for a new rig. I may pick something up used in the next year or so to replace the Corolla (I think its sold) but for now I'm just going to drive my truck.

Bill

Did the salesmen hound on you to buy the truck? They did to me when I test drove a 2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 optioned similar to the window sticker but +$10,000. I'll keep my 02 thank you pretty much.

Unique stuff about the 14:

Color info display: shows engine hours, ATF temp, MPH readout with V4/V8 indicator info.
Auto up windows
Felt lined wheel wheels (thats Lexus stuff right there!)
Analog meters "max out" after starting engine (sports car stuff man)

Wait until you sit in the Ram
wink.gif

I agree the Ram has the interior to beat.

But as in the previous Generation of pickups Chevy is several hundred pounds lighter than anything comparably equipped. It won the most recent comparo here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/...-longhorn-video

They stated in the print version that the 5.3 felt just as powerful as the Ram 5.7! The new DI motor is really tough on torque, a 5.3 was not torquey before VVT and DI!

Weight is something that costs you every time you drive... fuel, brakes, tires, suspension pieces, and more if you keep your trucks a long time like we do.

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
Nice truck...but $38k and back to 16mpg...nope.

My Saturn only cost $4K and gets 33 mpg. But I don't think he is looking for that kind of vehicle
smile.gif

I have owned several full sized domestic trucks, what are you looking to use it for? Towing? trips to the dump? I have always owned 8 foot beds, comes in very handy when you are using your truck....as a truck.

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Nice looking truck.

With that said...

$38k for what is listed on the lower right hand of the sticker and the past of the company will never have me spend my $$ for a new one.

Glad I'm not in the market for a new rig. I may pick something up used in the next year or so to replace the Corolla (I think its sold) but for now I'm just going to drive my truck.

Bill

$38k for a LT 2wd short bed, holy flipping mother of inflating product prices!
OP, you should wait till they have around $10 off sticker, and try to get the friends and family $2k

>>> what is this? helps with noise?
>>> I like this one, I have seen this in other cheaper cars, rentals, can't remember which ones.

I gotta say, the new trucks have me priced right out of the market. When I can get older, clean used ones right at 100k for under 5 grand, getting similar mileage, the new ones don't make sense.

I find it to be much more cost effective to be the second owner. I bought our 2011 Silverado ext cab a little over a year ago with 23,000 miles for $21,750 out the door meaning including TTL. They were asking $27,500 for it on the lot, the new one was in the range of $34K. It drove and looked like brand new, Has the 5.3/trailering package I wanted for our average towing and hauling needs. As certified vehicle the warranty was extended to 48K miles along with the standard 100k driveline warranty.
As a plus the first owner had added a spray bedliner, dynomax exhaust, hood and window guards (shades), thank you sir.
I would not pay the (immediately depreciating) price of a new vehicle.
407344392.jpg

404390994.jpg

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

The Chevy 1500's don't seem to have real truck suspension meant to carry and tow. GM engineered it for the guy who wants a truck and wants to be impressed with how good it rides during the test drive.

Really? Care to elaborate further on this for everyone... with some sort of proof?

98 posts and you're already baiting threads with stuff like this? Not good.

Originally Posted By: stockrex

>>> what is this? helps with noise?
>>> I like this one, I have seen this in other cheaper cars, rentals, can't remember which ones.
If that lights your fire get some sound damping material from a car stereo place and slather it on.

The Chevy 1500's don't seem to have real truck suspension meant to carry and tow. GM engineered it for the guy who wants a truck and wants to be impressed with how good it rides during the test drive.

Chevy still has a REAL Truck suspension - leaf springs - in the back of their 1/2 ton truck.

Dodge is the one that went with coils in the rear ... Sacrificing towing / hauling for ride quality.

The Chevy 1500's don't seem to have real truck suspension meant to carry and tow. GM engineered it for the guy who wants a truck and wants to be impressed with how good it rides during the test drive. The Ford F150 seems more like a real truck.

Sounds like you feel that the GM guys have better suspension R&D than the Ford guys, since the payload/towing capacities are very similar between brands, and you feel the GM trucks ride better
smile.gif

The Silverado beat out the F150 and Ram in the September Car & Driver. But I just can't stand the new front end. The Sierra is much better looking IMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back