General Altimax RT vs HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im looking at these two tires, was wondering if anyone out there has actually owned one of these and has any feedback. Thanks!

My BMW came on a new set of RTs when I bought it.
They're perfectly satisfactory tires, better than you would expect for the money.
At 38K, I don't notice them being noisy, but then a ragtop 318i isn't a quiet car.
Based upon current wear, they should go an easy 50K.
I put a set of HPs on the Impreza, and they've been fine as well.
The HP is a directional tires and is supposed to be the sportier of the two, with a significantly lower treadwear rating.
The two are usually priced within a couple of bucks of one another in the same size.
If you need tires and don't want to part with much coin, either Altimax would be a good choice.

Had the HP's on a Civic for a little over 50k mi. Very satisfied with their performance during that time, excellent hydroplaning resistance. Replaced with a set of Yoko Avid Touring S not too long after the posted link below which include pics of the HP's at ~50k. The Avid's were a better value than the HP's at that time imo.

General Altimax HP's at 50k mi./pics

Had a set of RTs on a Camry. They were not ideal for hard driving and cornering (neither was the car), but they stood up pretty well. As fdcg mentions, the RTs have a non-directional thread and come in large aspect ratios (touring oriented), where the HPs are directional, an have more sizes in lower aspect ratios (performance oriented). I also agree the RT's were comfortable, quiet and I found had good siping/wet performance. I did not recall the tires getting noisier, I'm not sure the RTs I had were made with progressively hardening layers of compound, like the HPs might. Sidewall is very soft on the RTs (and apparently General/Conti's in general according to reviews). One of them actually split a sidewall toward the end of it's life, though I was not driving and don't know what happened. At that time they were replaced with another set of RTs.

I put over 45k on a set of HPs on a Jetta.
Fabulous tire for the money, but it was definitely at the end of its life as it approached 50k. Light snowstorm crossing the Rockies and downpours in Southern Georgia were non-events. The ride was really quiet and mannerly. Touring tire, not a high performance tire.

I had a set of HP's on a ZX2. They wore out very quickly. I got them dirt cheap on a special clearance sale but I certainly would not pay full price for them with my driving conditions.

I like the HP, you cant beat it for a touring tire at that price point. Excellent snow performance.

We have one family in our circle with the RT's on their vehicle('03 Camry 4cyl) and the AltiMax RT's are doing quiet well without any absurd noises and travel through All 4 Seasons here in Western New York State. I can't answer for how many miles are on the tires but, they've had'em for ~3 years now.

FirstNissan, I would think that either RT of HP should do well in your climate.

Last edited:
Have the HPs on my Corolla for 2 yrs now and they seem to work fine, especially in the winter time.

I ended up not buying either of the Generals for my car so I have no first hand experience on their performance. But I would like to ad that in the case of Altimax HP, I remebmber my reading showed that it was the LIGHTEST all-season tire in the size I was shopping, and by a couple of Lbs under the next lightest tire.

In my case, the light weight was a factor against purchasing the HP because I feared it might be at higher risk of sidewall or belt damage in the jagged & cratered moonscape that passes for "roads" in Toronto.

However if bone rattling potholes, humps & folds are not an ever-present companion where you drive, you might be attracted to the perfomance & fuel economy benefits of a lighter tire.

Last edited:
70K miles on my Altimax RTs (03 Bonneville). Still going strong. I read the Otis thread, and agree that something is going on with that batch, or that accord. I'll post pics of tread if they hit 100K. The TigerPaws hit 120K on this car...

My driveway also has 2010 Vibe and 2003 Aztek AWD with RT's. No problems with any of the 12 tires.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back