Neighbors who constantly park in front of my house

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone else here have a problem with their neighbors parking in front of their house on a constant basis?? Yes I know it's a public street and it's 100% legal for anyone to park anywhere they want on it.

I guess with me it's more of a consideration issue. It's also hard to mow the ditch grass, as I have to schedule my mowing around there schedule of when they move their vehicles.

This is a rural subdivision and most lots are 1.5 acre plus. All house's have two or three car garages and large driveways.

The house owner has a lot of young adults and various people living there. When they first moved in they had four cars, but with new people moving in the last few months, the car total is now up to eight.

They are the only ones on the block that park on the street. Most people have two or three cars and use their garage or driveway.

They could park them in front of their house, but since they are so lazy its much easier to just park in front of my house. The girls mainly, either don't know how to parallel park, or are just lazy as they will usually park behind the last car. This is not a low life community. With houses costing 400k on up. Since only one or two of the occupants actually work, most of the vehicles stay in the same spots for days at a time. Or move for an hour or so, then come right back.

My wife (who is much more diplomatic than myself), spoke to them awhile back about the parking situation and their barking dogs. The homeowner said she would try to do better, and she did for a few months, but now with all these cars it's worse.

Since there is nothing legally I can do about it, and there is also nothing in the HOA policy's against it, I was wondering if anyone had anything similar happen to them and what they did about it.

In the picture the sedan and the green Tahoe are in front of my house. The property line is about 4 feet in front of the Tahoe.

2zgsoc8.jpg

The rims on that green tahoe look pretty greasy, Urban 'young adult' gangsters!

It's your lawn, why don't you put something on your lawn out front (temporarily) like some old lumber or dog poop on the edge of the road, that'll stop the 'young adults'. Maybe some will get jobs and help dig out the economy a bit?

I feel your frustration, nothing worse than bad neighbours!

Last edited:
The one key word in your post................ diplomatic.

Last edited:
Do you have a tree that overhangs the street parking? Put several bird feeders in the overhanging part and watch the birds paint the parked car.
lol.gif

Just kidding, but only as a last resort after all else fails to rectify the problem.

Well, the most obvious and neighborly thing is to try the tactful and friendly face-to-face approach and just ask if there's any way they can park elsewhere.

If that fails, you could go passive-aggressive. As in, why schedule your mowing when they're not there? Do the opposite and mow when they are parked there. Wait until that grass is rank, wet, thick, juicy, and shaggy then mow with the discharge aiming right at the bling wheels on that Tahoe.

:p

Originally Posted By: Cold_Canuk
The rims on that green tahoe look pretty greasy, apologies if that's your car
smile.gif
. Urban gangsters!

It's your lawn, why don't you put something on your lawn out front (temporarily) like some old lumber or dog poop on the edge of the road, that'll stop the 'young adults'. Maybe some will get jobs and help dig out the economy a bit?

I feel your frustration, nothing worse than bad neighbours!

+1, put something on your lawn.

Hope things work out.

It's tough. Could you park your cars in that spot until they get in the habit of going elsewhere?

Put in a parking meter?

i'd just ask them if they dont like they will come to your house with a gun and kill you.
my neighbors have asked us not to park infront of their house and we respect that.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Do you have a tree that overhangs the street parking? Put several bird feeders in the overhanging part and watch the birds paint the parked car.
lol.gif

Just kidding, but only as a last resort after all else fails to rectify the problem.

That a good idea but no trees nearby. Plus I think they are just so stupid that they wouldn't understand the bird poop correlation.

Also I'm not a vengeful person. So no keying, scratches, nails, etc.

Mow or weedwack when you want, if there are cars there, knock next door and tell them you're going out to mow and you'd appreciate it if they would move as you would hate to see rocks/gravel whatever hitting their car.

1) Ask nicely.
2) Ask directly.
3) Mow with discharge on cars.
4) Park a JUNKER right in front of their house for a week.
5) If it really your yard and not a public right of way, drive 3' metal rods 2' deep in the ground at 15' intervals into the ground the width of your lot.

Park in front of their house maybe they'll get the hint. Or try asking them to park elsewhere, politely. The next step all depends on what happens after you ask them to park elsewhere. Hopefully it ends there.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Well, the most obvious and neighborly thing is to try the tactful and friendly face-to-face approach and just ask if there's any way they can park elsewhere.

If that fails, you could go passive-aggressive. As in, why schedule your mowing when they're not there? Do the opposite and mow when they are parked there. Wait until that grass is rank, wet, thick, juicy, and shaggy then mow with the discharge aiming right at the bling wheels on that Tahoe.

:p

It would probably be a good idea to borrow some dogs too ...

I live in a dumpy community myself (trying to move by next year). I had the same issue. A rental house across the street became occupied by a Russian family....or I should say 'families'. No amount of discussion worked....real idiots that pretended to not understand me. They even parked up on my grass NOSE IN....right up to my front fence. They also littered all over the place and at times, blocked my mail from arriving. Nobody would help me unless the cars were abandoned. They weren't as they were moved daily. So....what I did was go to a local sand and gravel pit and purchased about eight HUGE rocks (I think they were called 4 man size or bigger). At the time I had a Ford Ranger and only about three would fit in the back at a time. I did this when the cars were all gone somewhere for the day. I used a wrecking bar to roll those rocks into the former parking spots in front of my house. No way anybody could move them without great difficulty and I placed them far enough from the road that the county said nothing. My problem was solved. Anybody ever asks about the rocks I just tell them it's my landscaping beautification idea.
As long as the HOA will allow it in your community, I would give it a try. Otherwise certainly DON'T stop mowing, weed-eating, or blowing just because they park in front of your house. A dusty, grass sprayed car will most likely send the message that you don't want them parking there.

Judging from the rims on that SUV, and the large number of cars there I'd say that drug activity is occurring there. Are those cars constantly coming and going at all different times of the day and night?

Maybe you need to call or e mail in a tip into the
VBI and or state drug task force.

I've started to notice that even "nice" neighborhoods are being taken over by drug activity and money laundering, and you'd be totally surprised at who is involved. It even includes elderly and retirees that look and appear to be well heeled, well off, educated people, that you might otherwise NEVER suspect. Some of these very pricey houses have sophisticated meth labs built into them that are almost impossible to detect unless you enter the houses. They have all manner of air filtering and such so that occupants can live there safely while they manufacture meth as well.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back