2010 mini cooper s turbocharged

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter just bought a 2010 mini cooper s with a turbocharger.It says in the manual to use either 0w-30,0w-40,5w-30 or 5w-40.She lives in south florida.Any recommendations as to what weight and brand of oil?Thanks for any replies.

I'd buy oil(on sale and/or w/filter) in the recomended weights according to the Owners Manual. Then, see what the engine likes best by weight/brand.

Mobil 1 0w-40. Less than $23 (at least here) from Wal-Mart.

I believe mini indicates to use a LL-01 approved oil.

Originally Posted By: tnt31
Mobil 1 0w-40. Less than $23 (at least here) from Wal-Mart.

I believe mini indicates to use a LL-01 approved oil.

This. And don't go by the OLM. The OLM on my 2009 was set up for a 15K OCI. The S uses a DI engine sourced from Peugeot. The factory OCI is asking for trouble.

Do look into a factory extended warranty. You might want to check into other owner's experiences on True Delta. Worn timing chain tensioners are common with this engine. Mine were replaced at 29K.

M1 Ow-40 is your value leader here. Unless you want to wait for BOGO sales (AAP) on Edge 0w-30 (GC) or 0w-40 (BC). Edge 5w-40 is quite stout too. All four of those choices carry a nice grouping of euro specs and will serve you fine.

Rotella T6 is an other choice. It is quite a hefty oil and easy to source. It doesn't carry a BMW spec as far as I know, but a little searching and you may find other cooper S users who are using it and UOA's.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
Worn timing chain tensioners are common with this engine. Mine were replaced at 29K.

29,000 miles?! That is a serious design flaw. If you had said 120,000, I might be less shocked (those should still last more than 120k, IMO).

Originally Posted By: rccsofla
My daughter just bought a 2010 mini cooper s with a turbocharger.It says in the manual to use either 0w-30,0w-40,5w-30 or 5w-40.She lives in south florida.Any recommendations as to what weight and brand of oil?Thanks for any replies.

To answer your question, OP, there are plenty of good off-the-shelf oils:

Mobil 1 0w40
Castrol Edge 0w40
Castrol Edge 5w40
Castrol Edge 0w30
Valvoline SynPower 5w40

M1 0w40 is typically the best value, but any of the ones I listed would work well.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Worn timing chain tensioners are common with this engine. Mine were replaced at 29K.

29,000 miles?! That is a serious design flaw. If you had said 120,000, I might be less shocked (those should still last more than 120k, IMO).

Agreed, and Mini is well aware. During routine maintenance, they discovered the bolt that holds the tensioner in place was backing out, causing an oil leak. I noticed the week before the service that the level had dropped a bit. They replaced the bolt and tensioner under warranty.

Also, Mini has the best brakes of any car I have ever driven, but the front pads had to be replaced at 30k miles and the rears were going to need replacement by 40K. Also the DI engine is prone to carbon buildup on the valves which will throw check engine lights. Plan on having the head pulled and walnut blasted every 35-45k miles. Mini will cover the first time, but after that figure $600.

Mine was purchased new by my in laws and I bought it from them for trade value at 22k miles. I traded it 4 months later at 32K miles. It was a blast to drive, but with all the known issues, I didn't trust it anymore.

The Fiats aren't nearly as fun, but have been infinitely more reliable so far.

Originally Posted By: dparm

To answer your question, OP, there are plenty of good off-the-shelf oils:

Mobil 1 0w40
Castrol Edge 0w40
Castrol Edge 5w40
Castrol Edge 0w30
Valvoline SynPower 5w40

M1 0w40 is typically the best value, but any of the ones I listed would work well.

The manual specifies 4 particular oils:

Mini 5W30
Castrol 0w30
Mobil1 0w40
Valvoline Synpower 5W40. This is not the Synpower available OTC here. I don't remember the difference, but the correct oil is only available in the States in 55 gallon drums.

There are indeed two SynPower 5w40s -- the off-the-shelf stuff, and the "bulk" version that's only sold to dealers and shops. Both will work fine, but the bulk version is more stout.

Totally forgot about the BMW/Mini 5w30. Excellent oil too (made by Castrol). I would guess it's expensive. The stuff I listed can be had for under $6/qt when it's on sale, and sometimes as low as $4/qt.

Synpower MST (What you buy in quarts in US) still carries Porsche A40 and MB 229.5, so it's not a slacker. Just don't plan on running it for any long drains. UOA's would be advised if using it. I debated about adding it to my earlier post.

Guess my main question is to use the 0w-30 or 0w-40.I personally like the idea of the 40 weight with the turbo if you guys don't think it's not too thick.

Guess my main question is to use the 0w-30 or 0w-40.I personally like the idea of the 40 weight with the turbo if you guys don't think it's not too thick.

If I remember correctly, Mobil1 is a thin 40 and may shear down into a 30 anyway, so you should be good to go.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Synpower MST (What you buy in quarts in US) still carries Porsche A40 and MB 229.5, so it's not a slacker. Just don't plan on running it for any long drains. UOA's would be advised if using it. I debated about adding it to my earlier post.

Meant to add this to my earlier post:

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/synpower.pdf

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but can I assume you'd take a new 500 Abarth over a 2011 CPO MCS Clubman JCW? My local Mini dealer doesn't exactly instill confidence while the Fiat dealer is part of the same dealer group as my excellent BMW dealer.
I guess I've already answered my question...

Originally Posted By: MCompact

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but can I assume you'd take a new 500 Abarth over a 2011 CPO MCS Clubman JCW? My local Mini dealer doesn't exactly instill confidence while the Fiat dealer is part of the same dealer group as my excellent BMW dealer.
I guess I've already answered my question...

We have been very happy with our Fiats and the dealer.

The Mini dealer (same dealer group) was great. The car...not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back