What oil does the new 2013 Civic Sedan love?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I am about to pull the trigger on a new 2013 Honda Civc EX-L sedan and plan to keep the car 10-12+ years. I want to fill with the best oil and was wondering what the honda 1.8 liter
engines love? Full synthetic, semi, or quality dino?
Or does it really not matter? Also, what is the quality of the OEM honda oil filter? Should
I use it, or can I do better?

What oil have all you 2012/2013 Civic owners been running with good results?

Thanks!

Last edited:
One of the best is Toyota Genuine 0w20.

In reality the engine will run fine on most any 0w20 or even 5w20 Api sn oil. The warranty may require 0w20. If you want readily available check out Mobil 1 afe.

Any API SN 0w20 or 5w20 will work fine when changed according to the maintenance minder.

However, for the warranty period, just go to the dealer when the minder tells you to. I think the factory oil is a synthetic blend. Also, for the very first oil change, do NOT change it early--WAIT until the car tells you to change it. The only exception is if it doesn't come on after a whole year.

Honda filters are fine, and there are better filters out there, but they do cost a lot.My favorite oil filter is the Purolator PureOne because of the textured grip--and it is a very good filter.

Although dino will work fine, synthetic is often on sale or rebate to make it very tempting. For example, I think Advance has Havoline synthetic on sale, for $20 with a Pureone filter.

Also, most SN "dino" is actually synthetic blend anyway

The R18 is not picky at all!

I am pretty sure you have to run a 0w20 in the new Civics. I would go with a full syn like Kendall GT-1, PP, or M1 AFE.

I was Planing on buying a 13 accord and running Redline 0w20 in it after the first oil change. but Never bought the thing
frown.gif
don't change your oil till the light comes on for it. it has brake in additives.go with Redline and just have the dealer put that oil in for you. so they won't void your warranty.

Leave the factory fill in till the MM goes off at 15% or 1 year. Then Pennzoil Platinum 0w20 with Honda OEM oil filter for the life of the car. That would be my choice. Honda OEM oil is good but there are more readily available alternatives that protect just as well....and are WAY cheaper, went to my Honda dealer and the SYN blend oil (not the full synthetic) is $8+ per quart, you can get PP at Walmart for $24 for a 5 quart jug.

As for the factory fill, i would dump it at 50%. Refill with Honda 0w-20 and change it again at 50%. After the first two changes, Pick any 0w-20 and run it down to the recommended 15% OLM.

(Thats what i would do)

I use Mobil 1 0w20 and OE filters in the one that I service. The intervals I suggest is 10k or 15%, whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: JohnathanDm
go with Redline and just have the dealer put that oil in for you. so they won't void your warranty.

Considering that Red Line oil doesn't have the latest API specifications that are called for in the owner's manual, your suggestion is worded extremely poorly. No one is required to use API SN/GF-5 oil or the grade that Honda lists. But, if you go outside of specifications and there is a warranty issue and it by some miracle turns out to be lubrication related, someone is going to have trouble claiming warranty. And I bet Honda would be unimpressed if a dealer were putting in out of spec oil and submitted warranty claims. And note that the dealer cannot void one's warranty. The dealer didn't offer the warranty in the first place, so it's not their place to "void" it.

I doubt anyone would have any problems using Red Line in a new Civic. I've gone outside specifications myself. However, it doesn't do any members here any favours by giving them incomplete or inaccurate information.

I'm out of spec on my G. However, if I somehow were to spin a bearing, I have no illusions about the help I would receive (or more accurately not receive) from Infiniti or Imperial Oil.

Ok, If I switch to Mobil 1 0W-20 after the factory fill, is the
OEM Honda filter capable of running to 8-10,000 miles, or do
you need to do a filter change in between?

Last edited:
OEM filter is likely OK for 8,000 - 10,000 mile intervals. IF it were my vehicle, I would not go more than 5,000 miles on the oil or filter until the engine is fully broke-in (i.e. 10,000 to 12,000 miles).

Historically the Honda engines are not picky about oil. They will happily run on almost anything without much fuss. My Integra and S2000 saw a diet of Mobil 1, Honda-branded oil, and Pennzoil Platinum for many years -- and even with daily WOT (8000+ rpm), the UOAs and compression results were excellent.

While the car is under warranty, follow Honda's recommendation. After that, any 0w20 will work just fine...buy what's on sale.

Originally Posted By: flinter
Ok, If I switch to Mobil 1 0W-20 after the factory fill, is the
OEM Honda filter capable of running to 8-10,000 miles, or do
you need to do a filter change in between?

Not a problem. I do 10K OCIs with M1 0-20 year round in both Duratect I 4s. I also use MC filters for the full 10K.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back