MAG1 Synthetics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents:

While doing search for 5W-30 on Amazon I ran into "MAG1" Synthetics. It is made by Warren Distribution out in NE.

According to their website it is a "pure" synthetic & they are a lubricant vendor for US Military.

Has anyone used this stuff before ? Price is very competitive but don't know anyone w/ hands on experience.

It's made by the same company that makes many of the house brands, they have a good reputation. I've used it and had no issues.

Watch out though...Amazon has a lot of SM stock...nothing wrong with it, just calling it out so that one doesn't inadvertently void a warranty
smile.gif

@JB, where can one get Mag1 for $2.x?

It is ironic you started this thread. I had never heard about it until yesterday when a poster indicated they used it in their Bimmer and I looked it up. Live and learn...especially on BITOG.
cheers3.gif

Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
I have used it and will buy again when it is on sale.(2-2.50/qt)

Where can you get it at that price? Heck, that's a great price for some conventionals.

Originally Posted By: salv
Every oil that Warren Distribution blends is a top quality product, and Mag 1 is their flagship product.

X2 exactly my sentiments!

Warren Dist. blends Walmart's Supertech oils. Was Warren the blender of the off-spec gear oil that Wally sold in California a couple of years ago that had to be recalled?

MAG1 oils are probably worth their price and no more. Expect very ordinary Group III so-called synthetic base stock and an additive package bought from one of the major additive suppliers. Nothing special. You might even bet better service from a top quality conventional oil than this low budget "synthetic." Just about every oil is perfectly OK except for a few very sketchy unknown brand ones sold in minimarts.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Warren Dist. blends Walmart's Supertech oils. Was Warren the blender of the off-spec gear oil that Wally sold in California a couple of years ago that had to be recalled?

MAG1 oils are probably worth their price and no more. Expect very ordinary Group III so-called synthetic base stock and an additive package bought from one of the major additive suppliers. Nothing special. You might even bet better service from a top quality conventional oil than this low budget "synthetic." Just about every oil is perfectly OK except for a few very sketchy unknown brand ones sold in minimarts.

It's better than this post makes it sound. Mag 1 is to Warren Distribution as Valvoline is to Ashland.
Additive packages are supplied by Afton. A Warren Distribution rep told me that directly. They are very transparent and willing to discuss their products. Very trustworthy company.

Originally Posted By: JavierG
Originally Posted By: JethroBodine
I have used it and will buy again when it is on sale.(2-2.50/qt)

Where can you get it at that price? Heck, that's a great price for some conventionals.

Every once in a while they will run it on Amazon for the Mag1 5w30 synthetic.
You have to watch for it. Once they sell some cheap they raise the price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dgsbikes
Watch out though...Amazon has a lot of SM stock...nothing wrong with it, just calling it out so that one doesn't inadvertently void a warranty
smile.gif

@JB, where can one get Mag1 for $2.x?

Mine was the SN GF5

I purchased a case of 6 through Amazon about 5 weeks ago when I got oil filter cartridges for our Benz...was planning on using it but found a deal on Mobil 1 at a local auto parts store and used the Mobil 1 instead. I can post a photo or 2 of the Mag1 container if that is ok here, thanks

You can post any picture of any automotive fluid as much as you like, we also like to look at pictures of various automotive parts.

Thank you - Here's the front of the container
I'll use it for the next oil change on our 2000 C230 Kompressor
[img:center]
2nc1evc.jpg
[/img]

I believe Warren also produces the SuperTech full syn for Wally's, which is decent stuff, but Mag1 generally has even stronger add packs than the store brand stuff they produce. As previously mentioned, Warren seems to regard Mag1 as their top brand.

I'd use it in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back