coolant for magnesium cased dirtbike?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a cr500 with magnesium parts. What coolant is the best for this application. Water pump area was rotted away. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Highline9
My engine rebuilder told me strait no water.

Absurd. Water raises the boiling point of the fluid and its what actually carries heat from the engine. Antifreeze to put it simply just keeps the fluid from freezing.
If you live in a hot,year round climate I would use mainly water at an 80/20 mix ratio. If you experience winter or sub-zero temp at some point during the year then 50/50.
Your engine guy may be a great builder,but to even suggest not adding water 0,without some form of alternative is not very good advice. I don't suggest taking his oil advice either.

The water pump area rots away very easy and it is very hard to find parts. Honda does not make new parts for a 1988 cr500. I think I will run a 50 50 mix of zerex g05. The engine builder wants to preserve the case. He told me if it runs hot then mix water with coolant. I want to know what coolant is the most friendly to the magnesium. I know water cools way better.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
A 1998 CR500 is a beast! The engine was more than the suspension could keep up with. Nice bike!

Glen at GSS race port did the engine work. He is in palmdale. Cyl was ported on flow bench. I have 2 cr500's 1988 and 1992. He did work 2 both 1988 will have around 85hp. once you ride a cr500 your hooked or hurt.

Originally Posted By: Highline9
Originally Posted By: tom slick
A 1998 CR500 is a beast! The engine was more than the suspension could keep up with. Nice bike!

Glen at GSS race port did the engine work. He is in palmdale. Cyl was ported on flow bench. I have 2 cr500's 1988 and 1992. He did work 2 both 1988 will have around 85hp. once you ride a cr500 your hooked or hurt.

Nice!

I used to live at Edwards, lots of great riding around there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back