06 PSD 6.0, 5000mi OCI, 42,848 miles on engine, T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I bought this truck in April and it had 36k on the clock. When I did the oil analysis the clock had 42,848. The oil had around 5,000 +/-250 miles, as I couldnt remember the exact mileage on the odometer. Im running OEM filters with a NUC oil bypass filter, the filter is an amsoil EABP100. Im also running Rotella T6 5w40. I know its not needed, but the few bucks that it costs over say T5, I'll go with T6. It will help me to sleep better at night..
grin.gif
As they said, Im thinking about running it 7500 miles.

I did add 16oz of Archoil oil additive. I didnt NEED it, nor did have any stiction etc, but I thought why not? I mainly did it to help clean the engine in case the guy before me just didnt care... Im not going to add it again anytime soon.

With that being said, here is it. What do you guys think? TBN seems good as well. The only thing that hes me kinda worried is the things that are out of line. But maybe Im still getting wear int he engine, i.e. breaking in, since its still low mileage for that motor? Could it be that they are using the averages, and my truck is super super low mileage compared to the trucks that are of the same year, which is 2006...

None the less, let me know if I could have a monster in the making, or a ticking time bomb.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
Nothing to see here - pretty standard. The Archoil will skew results making it difficult to see coolant issue, etc.
I recommend not using any additives until you get a sound baseline UOA number.

Yeah I should have done that prior I know, but my deltas ( good was of checking for a ruptured oil cooler ) are good at 6-8 MAX. Ive seen 9, but that was on a 100 degree day. Im not loosing coolant, so I dont think I have an issue there.

The iron and lead look okay?

Excellent example of why additives are, at times, not worth the money.

Heavy dose of potas and boron, and yet did it do anything in terms of wear reduction? Nope. Did it do anything for stichion? Nope. Did it clean much? Unless you have any reason to suspect the PO NEVER changed oil, I'd have to say it did nothing there as well.

6.0L PSD engines have well known problems, and they all stem from one core issue; the oil/coolant heat exchanger. As your truck is still young in miles, I beg of you to flush your coolant completely, and then add a coolant bypass filter. That will be MUCH better for your truck than any silly additive you can ad to the oil.

The UOA shows average wear, and all else is well. Spend your money on coolant exchange and filter, not snake oil.

Thanks Newton, Ive been waiting for you to pop in. I do believe that the additives do work, but I just didnt need them. ANd I knew I didnt need them to being with.

I do have an IPR coolant filter installed and the coolant has already been flushed with umpteen gallons of water and filled with ELC-1 Zerex coolant.

I dont think the additives are snake oil by any means. Ive seen it personally clear up stiction, or what is known as it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back