2013 Accord 2.4-liter Earth Dream Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to now, I have driven 2000x F350 7.3 SD. with 350,000....Ran Shell with Rotella and used Lucas in diesel fuel.
Added a 2013 Accord LX 2.4 litter Earth Dream Technology. Would like insight on
full synthetic or blend oil 0w-20 to use. Have been recommended Honda, Mobil 1 and Enos. Thanks oldnacl

Last edited:
I personally use M1 0w20 AFE in our Mazda which is spec'd for 0w20 weight ( does NOT require full synthetic, 0w20 Synblend is ok too for my vehicle ). Runs nice and smooth and no noticeable drop in fuel economy.

Since your probably under warranty, you will need to follow a specified interval to keep it intact. That being said any API SN 0w20 is plenty for the service interval.

If your interested in doing extended drains after the warranty period that's another story, but for now any name brand should do the job.

From 7.3L SuperDuty to 2.4L Honda that's just under 1/3rd displacement of the SD! How about that?

Anyway Mr Oldsalt, either or would be fine. If you like changing your own oil, go with the blend and follow the MM. This engine will probably be back spec'd to 0w16 in a few years anyhoo.

Pennzoil Platinum 0w20! Hondas seem to love Pennzoil products. I know mine does. Have PP 0w20 waiting to go in next oil change. The PP 0w20 has a low noack and good base stocks, as well as a nice add pack. If you cant find it, then I would go with M1 AFE 0w20, but Im not much of a Mobil person myself.

Originally Posted By: OldNacl
Thanks to all for info

I've got a '13 Accord with the same motor and am tempted to use 5-20 as its much more readily
avail than 0-20 Pennz which is my choice in that weight. I did find some recently and bought a jug for the change when its due, along with Fram Ultra filter.

I'm interested in this also. I'm waiting for my '13 Accord V6 to arrive at the dealer. I'm torn between PP 0W-20 or the M1 0W-20. I know either will be overkill for the engine calls for but would like some expert input on the differences.

Don't flame me, but what about PU 5W-20. The consensus is Honda engineers switched to 0W-20 due to CAFE Standards?.?.

Originally Posted By: atoalson
Don't flame me, but what about PU 5W-20. The consensus is Honda engineers switched to 0W-20 due to CAFE Standards?.?.

No flame, but there are 0w-20 options that aren't the high VI OEM type oils, if one is afraid of them for whatever reason. Mobil guarantees their 0w-20 to be suitable for any 5w-20 application, so that's maybe an "in between" option.

I've used both M1 and PP in 0w20 in our Honda. No complaints with either. I'd run either of those, or QSUD, Castrol Edge, or SynPower, based on best price.

Originally Posted By: atoalson
I'm interested in this also. I'm waiting for my '13 Accord V6 to arrive at the dealer. I'm torn between PP 0W-20 or the M1 0W-20. I know either will be overkill for the engine calls for but would like some expert input on the differences.

0w20 protects better than 5w20 at start up anyway. Plus, 0w20 a lot of times is a bit thicker at operating temp...win win.

Thank you for that tid bit of info. Just what I was looking for. Stuck between PP 0w-20 and M1 0w-20, any input from a fellow Honda owner?

I'm using TGMO 0W20 in my '13 EX-L 4cyl, and initial UOA came back okay since the engine is still breakin-in. I was running PU 5W20 after I dumped the FF at around 3000mi, but PU is pretty non-existent now besides Autozone and Pepboys. MPG wise, there was no difference between 5W20 and 0W20, but I'd go with 0W20 anyways since I like to use all 0Wxx in my two cars.

Honestly, I'd go with M1 0W20 since right now it's cheaper than PP 0W20. But either way, the DI motor is not going to know the difference I think.

Last edited:
If going for a 0w20 oil, go for a high vi and good add pack like TGMO-214or Mazda with moly-221 (roughly)
TGMO is readily available, priced well and will be my next fill, sm version thanks to CATERHAM!
I had M1 AFE 0w20 in my Accord and didn't like it at all, noisy, no fuel mileage gains and slow to turn over on some of the brutally cold winter nights of last. In my experience it isn't in the same league as TGMO, Mazda or Eneos sustina, but it does have its uses and is a good oil.
Switching over to the Mazda oil has been a night and day difference. Quiet, smooth, fast turnovers in winter and one [censored] of an increase in mileage.
That's been my experience but ymmv.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back