Bought a new cordless impact gun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
Have you done Honda crank bolt with it yet? That will be the real test of this gun!

I've been told that those usually require a 3/4" impact. I've never tried my gun on one, though.

Bring the TL over and we'll try it.
56.gif

My 1/2" IR air gun (rated 1100 initial breakaway torque) even struggles at 160 psi of air on honda crank bolts sometimes. Many times, have to go back and forth with shallow socket. Sometimes heat is needed as well.

I have IR 3/8, 1/2, 3/4, and harbor freight 1" air impact guns. All of the IR stuff is excellant. My 1/2" gun is much more powerful than a friend's 1/2" snap on gun. The 3/4" and 1" gun require a 1/2" hose, without the larger hose they are no more powerful than the 1/2" gun. Large compressor helps too. I have used the cordless and they are excellant. Nice purchase.

Last edited:
I prefer all my power tools to be corded. They are much cheaper to buy, perform better, and I don't have to keep a battery charged. It's not like I'm going to need my power tools during a power outage.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I prefer all my power tools to be corded. They are much cheaper to buy, perform better, and I don't have to keep a battery charged. It's not like I'm going to need my power tools during a power outage.

I work on stuff that is not next to my house and would require a long extension cord. The quality cordless tools are great for that. Corded tools have their place.

A youtube video of it being used on "a Honda crank bolt".
I can't tell what engine it is (4, 5, or 6 cyl). About 3 separate trigger pulls before the bolt starts spinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rbdm-ZLAl2M

As far as getting an anode rod out of a water heater, I replaced mine a month ago, a 7 year old Rheem, first time I've ever removed it. I used a 24" Neiko ratcheting breaker bar with the metric equivalent of a 1 1/16" 6 point impact socket (27mm). I used arm muscle and some jerking, so as to not rotate the heater too much.

I'm thinking maybe I should bump this thread?
The free battery mail-in promotion is back, until 31-Jul-13.
http://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/am-...s/w7150-rebates
Normally the battery is around $130.

Someone on the garage journal says they got one from thetoolwarehouse.net:
The web price was $382.50 but by using the coupon "WELCOME" the price came down to $344.25 shipped.

I bought this on the 30 july to get the free battery. It came today and what a POS this is.
Battery defective right out of the box, plug it in the battery flashes 6x red and will not charge, it has 50% that it was delivered with. Sparks fly out the back like a bloody fireworks display.

The tools heavy and large, much heavier than a good air gun.
Now i am going through the business of trying to return it, they said i should contact IR and see about warranty.
33.gif

Very dissatisfied with IR over this one.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I bought this on the 30 july to get the free battery. It came today and what a POS this is.
Battery defective right out of the box, plug it in the battery flashes 6x red and will not charge, it has 50% that it was delivered with. Sparks fly out the back like a bloody fireworks display.

Now i am going through the business of trying to return it, they said i should contact IR and see about warranty.
33.gif

Call your credit card company and tell them you want your money back, not IR to warranty the POS. See if they'll allow you to dispute the charge. When the company that sold you the defective garbage sees their $$ on the line I bet they take it back and pay the return shipping too.

Yep thats exactly what i am going to do. IR were pretty good but now they seem to have fallen into this offshore manufacturing trap and it shows.
Something like this should never have gotten through QC.

Originally Posted By: Trav

33.gif

That's unfortunate, since mine has not skipped a beat since I bought it. I do agree with your observation that the gun is very heavy and large, but that's the price you pay for a high-power cordless impact gun. If you are able to get one that is working properly, I think you'll be happy with its performance.

Yes i am surprised also. I need to replace my 2135TiMax desperately as its really shot to bits, i bought it new in 08 and use an inline oiler with redline synthetic air tool oil.
It needs a new case because the buttons drop out and if a bolt is really tight it wont do the job.

It was always somewhat of a wimp even behind a 175 psi Quincy 2 stage with 3/4" lines and 3/8" hoses regulated to 100psi at the gun trigger pulled but not this bad, my old USA made 231 comes to the rescue every time. The 2135 was never able to hold a candle to it from day one only on paper.
The 231 is old and never been truly rebuilt and in daily service till 08 too boot. This old and trusted thing was my benchmark for the replacement. Good luck with that.

I sent the 7150 back for a refund, thankfully i didn't sent the paper work in for the free battery right away when i got it as i intended or i would be stuck with it.
IR did call me back and they said its probably a defective charger and they would get one right out to me if i wanted so to their credit IR is standing behind the product.
They really want the product out there in the hands of mechanics but IMHO its not ready for prime time, it needs serious work. IR could have got a lot of constructive feedback if they would have given it to guys that use it hard and not lab rats and fan boys that blow smoke up their rear end telling them how great it is.

Sure it might have all the power of an 1/2" air gun but many 3/4" drives are smaller and even lighter that have a lot more power but no one wants to use a 3/4 drive under the car all day either.
Over at the tool forum no one seems to have a bad word to say about it and never mentions the fact it is a brick with a handle. I guess IR has some guy on the board that runs to IR's defense every time someone post something negative or something about another brand, they are rabid IR supporters.
Between that and the IR produced video's i got sucked into believing this could be a real alternative to the air gun, it really isn't unless you don't have access to a compressor in the field, junk yard, etc then sure its probably great.

For me to buy one again it will need to be 2 inches shorter and 2lb lighter and with a different forward/reverse switch, my hand almost covers it and would undoubtedly knock it in the other direction and it should have replaceable brushes for this money.

Now i think its time to change brands, its tough finding something new, price isn't an object. I looked at the Snap-On 725 but it has the sealed oil filled hammer case that has a few leakage complaints, that and the fact there are no kits only snap-Ons service but it is American made which is a huge plus for me.
CP once also top shelf is like IR, Chinese made for the most part, so now i am looking at Aircat also, some models are at least assembled in the USA and i understand they get the Parts from Taiwan not China which is a plus if there is a plus in which Asian country produces better parts.

Any thoughts on a new impact? It needs to be around 5lb, super hard hitting and fast, durable would also be a plus. Price is of not an issue as long as the bloody thing delivers the goods.
I don't need it for lug nuts i have a cheap IR 2132G only for them, i need something for frames, large spring perches and heavy suspension work without getting into a 3/4 if thats even possible.
The 2135 TiMax is out of the question as i already rattled one of these to bits, mediocre power and so so build quality (having to replace the case because the buttons fall out isn't exactly very high quality in my book) and not what i am looking for.

I would like to hear from Aircat 1150 and 1200K Nitro Cat owners.

Trav,

I own the 725 Snap on and really like it. It just took me a little bit to get used to the trigger control from using IR stuff. I've had it since they've came out and never had an issue with it. The gun gets pounded in a heavy equipment shop environment each day. The weight isn't bad and the gun is pretty balanced. I know the price tag isn't a big deal for you either.

The Aircat guns are great also. I owned the 3/4" equivalent from Mac and really liked it. It was light weight and packed a punch. Two guys in the shop have the NitroCats and love them. I think there really isn't anything close for the money if you order from Amazon.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck with the IR cordless. I own both the 1/2" and 3/8" cordless impacts. They have been great so far. I gave the newer Snap on lithium 1/2" a try and didn't really like it all that much. The front bearing went out right away and it has a dumb 'sleep' mode where you have to give the trigger a tap to wake it up.

You have a 1/2" IR air gun already so I wouldn't buy another and I doubt the Beta performance claims. I have an IR 1/2" and 3/4". I rarely use the 3/4" but when I need it, I don't believe any 1/2" gun would have worked. One issue with a 3/4" air gun, unless you use a 1/2" hose and have lots of available air, a 3/4" gun is no better than a 1/2".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back