Letter from insurance company requesting mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't DD my car to work or school, so my insurance lists it as something like "not driven to work/school, 7500 miles a year or less". They occasionally send me a letter asking for the vehicle's current mileage and how many miles I expect to drive it over the next 12 months.

The letter says nothing about this being mandatory, nor has my agent ever demanded I come to the office so he can take an odometer reading. I've sent these in before without giving it a second thought, but lately I'm wondering if I am required to fill this out and send it back to them?

Required? It's unlikely.

If you want to keep the discount you probably have to though.

Which insurance company?

I'm in a lot of trouble if it's Geico. My Cherokee is registered for 3000 miles a year and it gets maybe 2000.

The problem is I swapped gauge clusters ...

The first time I filled one out, even though my answers were within the parameters of the categories, my rates went up. My agent corrected things without my calling and went back to my previous rates.

My company gives the option of filling out the card or contacting the agent. Any more, I just call the agent. Let them deal with it, they are making the commission off the policy, after all.

Don't fill it out and see what they do. I have had low mileage vehicles on my policy in the past and never got these letters from Allstate.

We got one when we were with AARP Hartford. With both of us being retired we got a break on rates for our 2nd older vehicle which was rarely driven. Of course I didn't have to respond to the letter, but then the rate on the 2nd vehicle would have gone up.

We're down to one vehicle now and have been with Geico 6 years with a very good rate and have never got a letter from them requesting mileage.

Yeah, I wouldn't bother responding.

If you ever need to make a claim (like if you got into an accident), then they'll get the ODO reading as part of the estimate paperwork. At that time, they'll calculate how much you've driven since their last reading on file. If it ends up being more than 7500/year, then they'll ask you to start paying more in annual premiums, but other than that, I don't think there'll be any other repercussions.

I use StateFarm & they request an odometer update once a year. My insurance premium will fluctuate up/down & the cut-off is 7000 miles per year.

I drive my commuter 20k per year but my spare car is driven 5k per year, which receives a significant discount every 6 month.

Different company has different cut-off point, State Farm use 7K/Yr as their cut-off for mileage discounts.

Originally Posted By: dparm
I don't DD my car to work or school, so my insurance lists it as something like "not driven to work/school, 7500 miles a year or less". They occasionally send me a letter asking for the vehicle's current mileage and how many miles I expect to drive it over the next 12 months.

The letter says nothing about this being mandatory, nor has my agent ever demanded I come to the office so he can take an odometer reading. I've sent these in before without giving it a second thought, but lately I'm wondering if I am required to fill this out and send it back to them?

Our insurance company once demanded service/repair receipts at least a year apart showing VIN and odometer readings for both cars. Impossible, as they hadn't even been to a shop in that period of time. Called up our agent who called the company who wouldn't budge. We switched companies and ended up saving money in the process.

Last edited:
It's State Farm, to those who asked.

I'm going to not return it and see what happens. Worst case, "oh I didn't know it was required."

I'm going to not return it and see what happens. Worst case, "oh I didn't know it was required."

"Hmm, never received that." - unless its certified mail, they can't prove it was delivered to you if it ever comes up.

Originally Posted By: SigQAEngineer
I use StateFarm & they request an odometer update once a year. My insurance premium will fluctuate up/down & the cut-off is 7000 miles per year.

I have USAA and don't recall ever being asked, besides the "how much do you typically drive per year?" question.

On a related note, back when I first got my license, I was put on my parents' policy. Then, when I turned 21 (or 23? I don't remember) I got my own policy. I figured I'd just get the same coverage they had. It was at that point I discovered they'd estimated their annual mileage at just 1000 per year, for each vehicle, and as such were paying a discounted rate. That includes the one I was driving, which I was using for work to the tune of about 40-50K a year! I made sure my own policy was a somewhat better indicator of reality.

I don't know what's going on with insurance companies lately, but they sure are getting weird. My sister works for State Farm and she said they have people from SF going around to people's homes (who have their home owner's insurance through SF) and if they find anything on the exterior of the home that's not in perfect condition, they send them a letter telling them they have 30 days to get it fixed or their insurance will be dropped. I recently had an agent from Farmer's Insurance Group (I was thinking about switching from my current company to them) tell me they wouldn't insure my home unless I replaced my roof, even though there's nothing wrong with my roof other than it being old. Sounds like they're now getting goofy with auto insurance as well...I don't get insurance companies...no other type of business has a higher profit margin than insurance, and yet they gotta screw with people like this...ridiculous!

Originally Posted By: grampi
I don't know what's going on with insurance companies lately, but they sure are getting weird.

They are run by accountants and lawyers. What could be wrong with that?
lol.gif

What letter.....we don't need no stinkin letter...

Originally Posted By: AandPDan
Required? It's unlikely.

If you want to keep the discount you probably have to though.

+1, read your policy or addendum to see what's required to remain in compliance with your discount

The advice given here to ignore or throw way the letter is IMO unwise. They have workflow in place to ensure a response and will just follow-up

I have received the same letter twice from state farm. I did not submit it and have not seen one since. My rates are unchanged and it has been almost a year.

I have been ignoring it. If you return it then it must be accurate or it could be considered insurance fraud. But if you ignore it then not much happens. I cannot see that filling out the form ever helps you out.

The insurance companies do not even pull your driving record every year as that costs $8 or $10 in NY. However making other changes may cause them to pull your driving record.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back