Motorcraft XL-17 mystery additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if this has been addressed.......

I have a 2013 Mustang GT with the 5.0 V-8 Coyote motor. It has developed an engine tick at 1300 miles. It sounds like the ignitor button on a gas grill or 2 ball bearings on strings hitting each other. The problem occurs at hot idle and low rpm. One fix is to add a tensioner to the A/C belt. The other is to add 8oz of Motorcraft mystery additive called XL-17 ($32/8oz). It's not the A/C belt on mine.

Does anyone have any idea what this stuff is? Ford isn't saying nor are they saying what the problem is that this additive fixes. It is a nearly immediate fix on some engines, but reoccurs as soon as the oil is changed without the additive. Many people believe it is some sort of break-in additive, added by Ford at the factory for engines that have the tick. That is why many people don't notice the tick until their first oil change when it shows up almost immediately.

Can anyone shed any light on this? First what is this XL-17 additive (are there any other alternatives), and second, what is causing the tick in the first place? There have been numerous reports of this for several years now with no cause listed from Ford, just the potential mystery additive. Thanks for any help!

Greg

XL-17 MSDS

CALLING ALL EXPERTS!!!!!!!!
Please decode all the info I could find, it appears to be some sort of Ford blessed Modifier...

Hopefully, someone could have more input...
I would suggest taking it to a Ford dealer, make some noise, see if you could get an engineer out or get your car/name/VIN on the list so that your problem is known, a solution be offered when one is found, and like a few other people on various forum's have had happen, they might extend your powertrain warranty.

hydraulic fluid - principal ingredient

carbon black - used in tires, hoses, belts to strengthen rubber, resists UV, printer toner color pigment

naphtha - solvent

(You still need an Expert.)

Was discussed once (at work) and I heard:
Special valve train fluid (to seat the valve train}... lol
Friction modifier
Oil thickener
Make-up oil.... lol okay

Seem nobody knew was my conclusion.

Carbon black? This is an "advanced" formula of Arco Graphite, it seems. You might be better off using a moly add. Seems Ford is trying to cover up a manufacturing issue. Reminds me of the old Pinto engines where they forgot to drill some of the oiling holes needed and eventually, after noises, the engine failed.

I'm betting a heavier oil instead of that [censored] 5W20 would fix it! I still don't agree with using this thin oil in a very high specific output engine like the new 5.0 or any high revving, high HP V8 for that matter. I think the 20w stuff has its place but its not here!

Probably the timing chain set. The tensioners have a difficult time controlling the long timing chains when the oil pressure is low. Hot oil at idle is the time when oil pressure is lowest. I would get an OP reading with a manual gauge.

Thanks for all the input so far! A little more research shows this is a fix for some diesel engines as well. I've seen numerous reports going back to 2010, when this engine was first introduced. All I've seen from the Ford engineers is that the noise should go away after 10-15K miles.

I do agree that 0W-20 seems thin for this engine. I really don't drive much in the winter so I will likely change to a 0W-30.

Originally Posted By: Vcode
Thanks for all the input so far! A little more research shows this is a fix for some diesel engines as well. I've seen numerous reports going back to 2010, when this engine was first introduced. All I've seen from the Ford engineers is that the noise should go away after 10-15K miles.

I do agree that 0W-20 seems thin for this engine. I really don't drive much in the winter so I will likely change to a 0W-30.

If you switch to a heavier oil grade and the engine blows up, say goodbye to your warranty

I'd open up a case with Ford and have them fix it. It is funny how they shun additives, then when they have a problem endorse them in hopes to save on costly repairs. lol

Engines with the Track Pak and Boss 302 motors use 5W-50 oil.Not that that would make a difference with a warranty claim......

I will open a case but I hate working with dealers. I just know I'll get the "that's normal noise" response like many people with the same problem have.

Last edited:

I will open a case but I hate working with dealers. I just know I'll get the "that's normal noise" response like many people with the same problem have.

Good on you. You'll probably get that response, but if the problem gets worse it will be documented. Also if you fight hard enough they might actually do something. You can have the situation escalated to a higher level if you play it right.

Originally Posted By: Miller88

If you switch to a heavier oil grade and the engine blows up, say goodbye to your warranty

Doesn't the Magnuson-Moss warranty act protect you in this situation?

I've heard of this noise before, surprised it's still going on in at least the '13 models. That additive doesn't "look" like it has anything special to it at all. I wonder if Mos2 might have a similar effect, or thicker oil as mentioned.

The ford tick is infamous, like the dodge tick as well. As for ford ticking, its more common in the 2.3, 2.5, 3.0, and 4.0. Never read much up on the 5.0, it may have the same ticking issues you speak of. From what i have read, some years/sizes of engines are more prone too it than others, most are due too the timing chain designs ford uses. Some of these designs result in this tick and its not really a big deal, others, its a huge deal and will cost a good bit of money too fix it. Hopefully, someone will chime in about this additive though.

interesting find here as well, dont know if it pertains, but may help...

http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/15074-...ng-metal-sound/

Last edited:
Would be interesting (maybe) if someone had a UOA, then found out latter about this stuff, dumped it in, then another UOA later and see the UOA results with this stuff in it. Just a thought.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Would be interesting (maybe) if someone had a UOA, then found out latter about this stuff, dumped it in, then another UOA later and see the UOA results with this stuff in it. Just a thought.

Or do a VOA of this stuff

Then again, it might have some of those stealth/secret FM/AW esters, or asteric type VIIs (like the AKZO Ket Jenlube 9233 stuff, or the like) which do NOT show up in VOAs according to Molacule and others.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back