WD-40 Mixed into Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: bmw 335i twin turbo
Oil: GC 0w30
Issue: WD40 sprayed into oil

Hey guys, my car was up on a lift at my mechanics so I asked him to just do my oil change since it was sitting in my trunk anyway.

After he finished pouring in the new oil (Castrol 0w30) he sprayed the engine cover with wd40 to clean up the drips while the oil fill cap was still open so the wd40 sprayed into the new oil as well.

I just wanted to know if there's any reason to be concerned about this or if I should just forget about it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If its just some spray no, but too much would dilute your additives and viscosity. I think your okay.

What exactly was he spraying for in the first place?

1. The mechanic should have been using Brake Parts Cleaner

2. The WD40 that made it into the oil, if any miniscule amount, will flash off inside the engine.

Last edited:
tiny amount if any went in, and that car runs the oil so hot, it wont survive anyway.

At least he didn't clean up with City Star oil. One drop of that in your crankcase and you would have been in trouble.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
If its just some spray no, but too much would dilute your additives and viscosity. I think your okay.

What exactly was he spraying for in the first place?

I'm not really sure why he did it. It was my mechanics new assistant who did it actually I guess he's used to trying to impress people with a shiny engine bay.

If it was my mechanic himself he would have known not to bother.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Odd way to clean up ...

I can imagine that smells pretty bad when the engine heats up.

Yeah, I hate when people use wd40 to try and make things look good. I'm going to degrease the engine bay and get it all out of there tommorrow.

Thanks for all the help guys, being as OCD as I am I been googling for the past 2.5 hours non-stop, had I not posted on here I don't think I would have slept peacefully for the next week.

carnoobie....could it be?
crazy.gif

When I had my oil cooler replaced and was picking up the car, the mechanic noticed some oil or such had got onto the windscreen. He grabbed a can of spray and a rag and cleaned it off. I asked what it was he spray. He said WD40, it's great for cleaning off oil. Two days later I am seperating my wiper blades from the windscreen, scraping off the rubber that stuck and trying to get the WD40 residue off the windscreen. If I see the guy again I am going to let him know to never ever do that again.
As for in the oil. It would be so little and just evaporate in the first trip.

I wouldn't worry about it, think of it this way, with our ethanol enriched gasoline you are dumping unnecessary alcohol related by product into the oil every time you drive. A little WD40 over spray wouldn't hurt.

Well, I normally do all my own work on my car. This was sort of an emergency. Sunday afternoon I discovered water in my oil. I needed the car for travel to and from work. So I grabbed a hire car and got a mechanic to fix it up. It could have taken me a couple of weeks to sort otherwise. They said they could do it by end of week. 6 weeks later... after they had pulled the head off, even though I'd investigated and told them it seemed to be the oil cooler. Anyway, needed new valve seals, so not total loss to have head reconditioned. Wish to [censored] I had have done my own work. I sourced most of the parts for them anyway and showed them how to check the oil cooler. Oh well, live and learn. The worst thing was paying for a hire car for 6 weeks.

I spray the engines in my cars with WD-40 all the time. Keeps them clean as a whistle. Besides, there's nothing like the smell of WD-40 when you start your car in the morning - smells like . . . . victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back