2014 LaCrosse Test Mule - China Market

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishdude

$100 Site Donor 2023
This LaCrosse has been around the area for a few months, earlier in the year it had camouflage covering the front and rear clips. I finally saw it without the camo and it has Chinese badging!

It looks like a nice update to the LaCrosse, I really like the current generation so I am excited to check one of these out once they are released. It looks sharp.

Made in China parts, now made in China cars. Made in China parts quality has been less than stellar in my opinion, so a complete car made in China really has me thinking.

China is an extremely important market to General Tso Motors, GM has sold more cars in China (1.2 million vehicles) than in the U.S. (1.08 million) In the first six months of 2013.

GM expects to sell more than three million cars there annually within five years. But Ford isn’t faring as well in China—GM outsells the blue-oval brand four to one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kool1
Made in China parts, now made in China cars. Made in China parts quality has been less than stellar in my opinion, so a complete car made in China really has me thinking.

GM isn't selling any cars in the US market that are made in China.

I have a question... We'll assume that this car was manufactured in China. I'm assuming this since it has the badging that it does.

To be operated in the US, does it have to meet US safety/equipment regulations, or because it has a Manufacturer plate on it, does it get a "pass"?

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I've heard they like Buicks in China.......

YES THEY DO!!

I just wish that they would let U.S. sell the ones made here, over there, it might actually help the economy a little, and certainly be a PLUS for our HUGE trade deficit with them (as well as almost EVERY other country we deal with, due to ONLY US sticking to 'principles'
mad.gif
).

Yes I don't know why we are such pansies when it comes to the trade imbalance between China/US/Japan?

GM has sold more cars in China this year than the US. What is wrong with that? I read ignorant posts all over the internet of why people won't even consider GM cars ranging from some 1974 Vega that was a rust bucket when they had it in 1984, to "Government Motors" to some stupid anti-union thing. It's sad what an ignorant sector of society a portion of this country has become.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I've heard they like Buicks in China.......

YES THEY DO!!

I just wish that they would let U.S. sell the ones made here, over there, it might actually help the economy a little, and certainly be a PLUS for our HUGE trade deficit with them (as well as almost EVERY other country we deal with, due to ONLY US sticking to 'principles'
mad.gif
).

You can blame China for that. China has very restrictive trade policies, that make it very difficult/expensive to sell imported cars in china. You can do it, but it can be very limiting. Generally what the Chinese Govt wants the companies to do is partner with a Chinese company, share all their IP and "collaborate" to build it- meanwhile China gets access to all the IP and design info AND it has to be built in China.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yes I don't know why we are such pansies when it comes to the trade imbalance between China/US/Japan?

GM has sold more cars in China this year than the US. What is wrong with that? I read ignorant posts all over the internet of why people won't even consider GM cars ranging from some 1974 Vega that was a rust bucket when they had it in 1984, to "Government Motors" to some stupid anti-union thing. It's sad what an ignorant sector of society a portion of this country has become.

It isn't simply the Vega being a pain etc:
The Cavilier sucked
The 2.8 3.1 and 3.4 V6 engines had terrible head gaskets
Most of their OHV V6 engines had weak intake gaskets
That spider injection setup on numerous Vortec engines was a disaster
Most Saturns would burn excessive amounts of oil
Northstars would have a head gasket fail and destroy the head bolt threads in the process, making the job twice as expensive.

And second, it seems fine to me when someone says "Your company cheated me once, I will take my business elsewhere, and continue to do business there if I am treated right."

I had my Saturn engine Die with approximately 100,000 miles on it. No other car in my family died that way unless it was neglected.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

The issue is our lax trade policies with China, whilst China levies strict trade policies with us that, as Nick noted, means that we basically sell them our souls (or in this case, GM sells them their souls) to sell vehicles there. They end up with Chinese-made cars with Chinese-made engines being manufactured by Chinese people and assembled by Chinese workers. And they get access to all the IP meaning that they will eventually be able to sever the partnership and undercut GM (and whomever else is operating in that market) with their own products.

The deck is heavily stacked against successful long-term sales in China. They don't want foreign companies operating in China, they want our knowledge. Once they have that, they will leverage their low-cost labour and government-backed manufacturing to undercut everybody in the automotive industry. Like with electronics, this will be a massive game-changer for the industry and few companies will survive. We are doing this to ourselves however, as a capital-driven system, money is our ultimate motivator, and at this time, China is a source of revenue for companies like GM. Until of course it isn't. But by then the damage will already be done and China will own yet another massive chunk of the manufacturing landscape. This is a road to ruin, because there is no way to force China to play fair. And we are too greedy as a society to avoid taking advantage of what they offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back