Possible oil consumption 2013 Fiat 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't sweat it too much. If the rate of consumption is constant, you'll be fine. A bit of consumption is fine, as it means you can top it off and replenish the additive pack.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Heh heh, I just rented one while my van is in for body work, not my fault, thankfully. I'm a traveling paper pusher and dont need any room. It has about 10k miles, too early to tell how well it drives.

We like ours a lot. Both have manual transmissions. I don't think I would want one with an automatic, but I feel that way about most cars.

Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
The car has never shown "full" on the dipstick ever- not even with 30 miles on the factory fill. Using the specified 4 quarts results in the level being right in the middle of the cross marks on the dipstick.

On this OCI, I noticed the oil level has dropped on the dipstick, to about 20% into the cross hatch marks.

First off, you really should finish topping the engine off after you pour in the 4 quarts and start the car to fill the brand new filter cartridge with engine oil, as that is making your sump run a bit low on oil. Having the engine run a bit low on oil raises the oil temperature a smidge, and causes the oil to wear out a bit quicker because you are asking less oil to do the same amount of work that should be covered by more oil.

My fiance first bought a 2012 Fiat 500 Sport, and then traded that in for a 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth. Both engines have been very easy on the oil between oil changes, and I don't see any issues with you burning what amounts to a cup or two of oil in 8000 miles of highway use.

If you actually were having an issue that has been popping up a bit more often on the Fiat 500 forums, rear main seal leakage, you would be losing considerably more oil during your oil change interval, and then you would have something worth complaining about.

So, no Fiat bashing here, just wondering why you are complaining about 2 cups of oil used in 8000 miles of highway driving...

BC.

Listen to the experts here, they are correct in telling you NOT to worry about that amount of oil consumption because it IS typical and NORMAL with many of today's engines across the range of brands. As long as the rate of consumption does not increase significantly you are worrying without cause.

Relax and enjoy your Fiat Cinquecento.

Before I begin, I will ask that Fiat bashing not exist in this thread.

Aw there goes all our fun with the "Fix It Again Tony" jokes.
wink.gif

To OP, when do you check your oil? Not to insult you but just make sure you check only when engine is either cold or after at least 10 minutes after turning off. Checking inconsistently will show different results.

If it's really oil consumption, I'd go to Fiat forums and determine what is normal. In my oil burner's experience with my signature car, you can experiment with different oils to find the one that is consumed least. Most likely, it will be the spec oil in synthetic and OEM filter. Then, check your PCV valve.

From the opening post I'd estimate about 0.4L over 8k miles, or an average of only 50mL per 1000 miles. This really sounds minimal.

I'd top off the oil instead of leaving it running low though. Add an extra 1/2 quart when you change the oil and try an start out near the full mark on the dipstick. But don't overfill!

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
1/5 quart or even 1/2 quart in almost 8,000 miles doesn't sound that bad!
x2. Let us know when it uses a qt in 1k.

Maybe I'm being picky. The car is extremely well cared for. I didn't expect any type of consumption/usage until well into 6 figures on the odometer.

The last car I owned that needed topping up was a 1979 MGB. If a classic British car doesn't leak, it means it is out of oil.
wink.gif

You must not have owned many cars. 1/2 qt is nothing in 8K. The dealer won't give you any help on such a tight engine. And shouldn't.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
That is nothing to worry about. I have had new cars that would use a qt every 2k from the time they were new. Your slight oil use tells me everything is being well lubed, including the top piston ring. But I would make sure nothing is leaking.

+1

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
1/5 quart or even 1/2 quart in almost 8,000 miles doesn't sound that bad!
x2. Let us know when it uses a qt in 1k.

Maybe I'm being picky. The car is extremely well cared for. I didn't expect any type of consumption/usage until well into 6 figures on the odometer.

The last car I owned that needed topping up was a 1979 MGB. If a classic British car doesn't leak, it means it is out of oil.
wink.gif

You must not have owned many cars. 1/2 qt is nothing in 8K. The dealer won't give you any help on such a tight engine. And shouldn't.

I've owned over 20, and have had one that burned- a tired VW- and one that leaked-MG.

I've never had to top up any "modern" car, but then again, this is my first experience with an 8K OCI.

One question- the book says oil capacity is 4 quarts, and the level was "low" when I bought it new. So I am wondering if the capacity listed in the book- and elsewhere- is wrong, or if the dipstick is inaccurate.

Why not go back to the dealer and go look at several other NEW identical models that are like your car on the lot. (same engine specs, trans, ect) Check the mileage then check the oil level on the stick how do they look? Same level, low, high, ect.

You are fretting over nothing, but this might calm your nerves.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Why not go back to the dealer and go look at several other NEW identical models that are like your car on the lot. (same engine specs, trans, ect) Check the mileage then check the oil level on the stick how do they look? Same level, low, high, ect.

You are fretting over nothing, but this might calm your nerves.

We have 2 and both were/are the same as far as oil level. Hers hasn't dropped, but hers is driven far less and mostly in the city.

I'm not going to worry about it- I will put 4 quarts in it and top up as needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back