L.E.D. Light Bulbs Or Compact Florescent Bulbs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which ones save the most energy or are they about the same please explain...

I know the L.E.D.'s are dimmable and the compact florescents are not but are they both close in the energy used? The compact ones are cheap while the L.E.D. ones are about $10.00 a pop..

LEDs are good for high vibration, extremely inacessible places, extreme cold, and extreme on/off cycling.

Otherwise CFLs are at a sweeter price point for what you get. My state PUC subsidizes them a bit too.

Color rendition varies upwards from mediocre on the cheap ones. I have a few frosted LEDs that are "milky white" for lack of a better term. The light is white, but color saturation is a bit funky.

For a 60W-equivalent, a CFL will use 13 to 15W, and an LED will use 10 to 11W, so there's not a huge difference.

Most (but not all!) LEDs are dimmable, and most (but not all!) CFLs are not. Either way, you should really look at the packaging to make sure, if that's a feature that's important to you.

CFLs usually are rated for ~8,000 hr lifetime, while LEDs are ~25,000.

The major difference that I have seen is that you can buy CFLs for under $2/bulb for 60W-equivalent, while LEDs are usually over $20/bulb. Other bulb styles, such as spotlights, may be closer in price.

I'd like to start using LEDs but the price just isn't there yet. Plus I'm still using a couple cases that I bought 5+ years ago when there was a local promotion and got them for $1/bulb. I had had great luck with CFLs lasting a long time, especially in higher heat (multibulb ceiling domes) situations.

Its only a few watts for CFL vs LED, returns are diminishing, though percentages can be high. LED also has some power differences based upon color temperature.

I have a Cree 40 and 60W bulb here. The 40W (450 lumens) claims 6W, the 60W (800 lumens) claims 9W.

I did a test where I put a few different bulbs into an old chandelier in our home. I had a couple 13W GE CFLs, that are around 825 lumens, the "40W" Cree in the same color temperature, and then the Cree "60W" in "daylight" color.

C2E21D6F-3C5D-4DCE-AB09-90CECA5D8A23-3296-000004C97741AE5E_zps1bf84a2f.jpg

The Crees were in the far left (blueish, 60W) and far right (cool white, 40W) positions. The other spots were 13W CFLs.

While the closest position (a CFL) looks brighter, looking at it in person, you cannot see that. The 40W LEDs look the same brightness and the same light throw as the 60W CFL.

So practically speaking, IMO you can get the same light for 6W from LED or 13W from CFL. I dont have the lumens rating for the CFL.

I like LED bulbs, only have a few, but when these US assembled Crees came out in HD for a relatively decent price, I had to bite.

Almost like clockwork I have to replace CFLs due to lost lumens and long warmup times. I just replaced a 30W circular T9 fluorescent for lost lumens, 2 years old.

For now, LEDs are better in places air can cool them.
Color temperature and CRI are all over the place, so it takes effort to buy something that's pleasing to the eye. The Home Depot seems to be leading the way around here stocking some good lamps.

When new, probably the fluorescent. After a year, the LED.
If you have luminaires designed to maximize each technologies' output, then the LED may have the edge for lower wattage fixtures.

Typical power consumption for 800 lumens:

Incandescent - 60 watts
CFL - 13 watts
LED - 10 watts

Either or will save more or less electricity and have varying total costs depending on the application.

CFL's don't like areas where the light is turned on and off a lot, like a hallway. They will have a very short life here.

However, LED's don't like areas were they can not cool off. LEDs run very hot and have heat sinks on them because of this (look for the cooling fins). High heat or an area with low cooling ability (think - inside a covered light fixture), will ruin the life of an LED bulb.

You really gotta make an "engineering decision" on what type of bulb to get and where. The shed in your backyard might be perfect for an incandescent. Your kitchen and living room lights might be perfect for CFLs. Your hallway and closet lights might be perfect for LEDs. It depends on a lot of factors.

I'm current trying some Cree bulbs myself....hitting them in my high traffic areas. I've only started with a few so far, but seen a near 8-10 percent drop in the electric bill.

And they are doing well...so far so good.
smile.gif

For any given amount of light output, the LED will use less electricity. This is why they've become common in even low-end flashlights.
LEDs live much longer lives than CFLs as well.
So, the LED is probably worth its higher upfront cost.
As these lamps become more common, cost will decline.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
For any given amount of light output, the LED will use less electricity. This is why they've become common in even low-end flashlights.
LEDs live much longer lives than CFLs as well.
So, the LED is probably worth its higher upfront cost.
As these lamps become more common, cost will decline.

+1

I always look at labels. Incandescent bulbs are made in the USA. CFL and LED's are ALL made in China. Someone explain to me how LED's cost soooooo much more than other bulbs. Every component of LED bulbs are made in China. If CFL's are going to be made obsolete because of Mercury issues, why then are the utility companies giving them away?

you can find low wattage LED run off 12v and that would further reduce heat and energy lost (from 120v->12v transformer). plus you have an option to hook up a solar panel and battery.

wattage difference between led and cfl are very little in low light output.

Originally Posted By: whizbyu
I always look at labels. Incandescent bulbs are made in the USA...

Not anymore from what I've seen. It has been years since I've been able to find good old Made in the USA incandescent bulbs. First they went to Mexico, then to China.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back