Best oil filter for a 2008 toyota sienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello! I'm new to this website and find it very interesting. I am wondering about what oil filter might be the best one for my 2008 Toyota sienna. I now use a M1C-251 filter. I use M1ep 5w-30 for 12,500 miles. I did a UOA on it with Blackstone labs and they said the oil could go 14,000 miles. Would the Fram Ultra be be a better choice because it might be a cheaper price with a larger capacity for gunk. I pay 17.50 per filter now on Amazon.

Last edited:
Ok since your new we will cut you a break, never ask for the best anything around here. just a tip.

If it were me, I would look into any of the synthetic media filters and silicone anti drain back Valve. Can't go wrong with any of those. Royal purple impresses me, wix XP, Napa Platinum, Purolator Synthetic, and more. Oil choice I would look into group 5 synthetic, or group 4 too. welcome to Bitog.

Honestly I would just stay with OEM. They have been designed for Toyota and meet all of there specs.

Yeah, the Toyota filters are good and the already mentioned Denso First TIme Fit filters are identical. Both can be found online, with eBay a good place to find the OEMs.

You can always run the toyota filter for 5k miles and if you change your own oil and cut it apart. if you go to oil stop or something, just ask for your old filter, i do it all the time. When you cut it apart, if it is all stiff and crystallized, you know there is a better choice- synthetic. if the filter is still fine and dandy at 5k miles, I would agree. However, i have yet to see any OEM filters not stiffen up, but I never cut open a Toyota filter.

This has 2GR-FE engine, right?
Aftermarket filters are 2-3x as expensive as OEM and are actually inferior in filtering area. Total rip off. They are known to collapse from restriction if you search. This engine needs high flow filters. No need to cut open either as this is a cartridge filter.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Aftermarket filters are 2-3x as expensive as OEM and are actually inferior in filtering area. Total rip off. They are known to collapse from restriction if you search. This engine needs high flow filters. No need to cut open either as this is a cartridge filter.
No the toyota filter is actually worse in filtering, they only filter 51% of 20 microns. This is NOT a problem in my opinion because thats what toyota specs. Just clarifying the aftermarket DO filter better, but no issues sticking with OEM.

Seriously since you are doing longish OCI's the filters you are using make sense, the Ultra even more so but why so much for one they are around 9 bucks at Wally's.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Good ol Toyota OEM, very practical they can double as a no kill butterfly net.

Hehehe.
Use a synthetic media filter and Toyota synthetic 0w-20. Great oil.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
No the toyota filter is actually worse in filtering, they only filter 51% of 20 microns. This is NOT a problem in my opinion because thats what toyota specs. Just clarifying the aftermarket DO filter better, but no issues sticking with OEM.

I said filtering AREA.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Good ol Toyota OEM, very practical they can double as a no kill butterfly net.

ya, right!

Explain this:

purolator1.jpg

purolator2.jpg

Pureone on the left. OEM on the right.

I love BITOG, where most don't know what they are talking about.

That's the funny thing! The price I'm paying now is very high compared to the Fram Ultra. If I can find the Fram ultra at Wal-Mart, I think I'll give it a shot. Thank You! I'll look at NAPA Platinum as well.

Best thing anyone can do is try some different recommendations and cut their own filters open and choose that way. Filters are just like oil, technology has led to better, longer lasting, more efficient filters that are also more money. If you like you coffee with cig ashes mixed in and a diner in Oklahoma is your idea of gourmet, you can use Orange Fram and Walmart oil, and there is nothing wrong with that. Paper is paper, it is old school and old school will work just fine for a lot of people.

But, does anyone think that Paper will outlast synthetic media, or even the same? probably the same people would say that conventional oil is just as good as synthetic. again, nothing wrong with it but that just isn't me. Bill, I hope you do some of your own testing and contribute to the knowledge base, there is a lot of great info here and the info keeps on coming.

Originally Posted By: billpace1956
That's the funny thing! The price I'm paying now is very high compared to the Fram Ultra. If I can find the Fram ultra at Wal-Mart, I think I'll give it a shot. Thank You! I'll look at NAPA Platinum as well.

I'd go with the FRAM Ultra if you want a full synthetic filter with excellent filtering performance and holding capacity. FRAM rates it to go 15,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: gregk24

I said filtering AREA.

The Toyota OEM filters do have a lot of media area. However, many aftermarket filters also have quite a bit too. Purolators usually have more than most other aftermarket brands. Most good filters will flow way more than any engine can produce anyway and maintain a reasonable delta-P across the media. I stopped using Toyota OEM filters after seeing river_rat's bench testing and the ISO efficiency test that Amsoil did showing the Toyota filters were very poor at filtering down to 20 microns.

Originally Posted By: billpace1956
Hello! I'm new to this website and find it very interesting. I am wondering about what oil filter might be the best one for my 2008 Toyota sienna. I now use a M1C-251 filter. I use M1ep 5w-30 for 12,500 miles. I did a UOA on it with Blackstone labs and they said the oil could go 14,000 miles. Would the Fram Ultra be be a better choice because it might be a cheaper price with a larger capacity for gunk. I pay 17.50 per filter now on Amazon.

I would highly recommend the Toyota TRD Performance filter:

TRD Oil Filter for 2008 Sienna

They are a fully synthetic filter rated 98% efficient at 20 microns. Available through your Toyota dealer or online for less if you search.

thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back