0W30 GC in Sea-Doo NA 4-tec 1503

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 Sea-Doo PWC with the 155 HP 4 stroke Rotax 4-TEC with 17 hours. (1494 CC 3 cylinder SOHC 4 valve per cylinder) The 155 HP is normally aspirated so you can use synthetic oil. The manual directs if you use non-factory oil it must have the API classification of SM, SL, or SJ and SAE viscosity of 5W-40 or 10W-40.

I have a large stash of GC 0W30 that I would like to use. GC is SL oil, so meets the recommendation for API classification but not for viscosity. Keep in mind that GC is a very thick 30 weight oil and all watercraft use is in Canada where water temps would be 82f max. I would change this oil at 25-30 hours instead of the 100 hour recommendation.

Any thoughts or downside to using this oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Sometimes I put it on pie. It's delicious.

Thanks I make a note of that...

Last edited:
I had a 4.3l powered 24ft. I use to go out on the bay every weekend. I used gc and ac filter. Ran 75hrs sen cat a sos program uoa and one at 100hr oci. Both came back plenty of oil life left. Sold the boat when gas hit 2.15 a gallon

Ken

I have an identical ski (07 Skidoo GTI). Honestly I am a big fan of getting use out of oil that I already own....but when you are running 6 to 7K RPMs for a long time, there is a reason they are specing xxw-40 oil. GC is a great oil, but why risk it when you can get a top notch oil for $25? BTW, draining the oil through the dipstick only gets a couple of quarts out. I cannot remember the capacity, but that is only around 60% of the oil.

I used M1 HM 5-40 (or maybe it was 10-40). And will change it at 25 hours.

BTW, I bought mine with 432 hours and it still runs perfect
smile.gif

The the majority of the oil out you must hold throttle wide open then attach you DESS cap. (flood mode) Hit the starter and turn the engine over. Pump out the oil. Do this several time and you can get out almost 4 L of oil

I'd go with a heavier oil, 10-20W 40-50. It's only going to be ran in relatively warm weather at high rpms.

I could run a 5W40 like T6 and have it shear down to a high 30, or just use the GC and not worry about the shear...

BTW, thanks for the replie; I value all our your opioions..

Last edited:
Its been two years and I have put 28 hours on the GC 0W30. I think I can go one more year on this oil (maybe 20 more hours) any reason not to stretch OC this to three years?

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Analyze it and see what you get. Why leave it to mystery?

The cost of testing would be the same as putting new oil in.

Even though the hours are low they recommend a yearly change OR 100 hours. Something about the oil sitting during the off season, and acids attacking metal ETC. I know it's generally a non issue for a good syn lube.

I personally have a 14 Seadoo RXP-X, and I run Amsoil Marine 10w40. Hasn't missed a beat in 125 hours.

My other ski is a 06 Honda R12X Turbo. I run Amsoil 10w40 High Zinc in that one. It also runs great with 557 hours.

I believe in Amsoil for these high stress applications.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
You don't have to test every time. Just establish a baseline to follow for the future.

Only problem is next oil change wont be GC....My stash is gone, and that oil is now too expensive. T6 is now the new GC for me...

Originally Posted By: Anthony
Even though the hours are low they recommend a yearly change OR 100 hours. Something about the oil sitting during the off season, and acids attacking metal ETC. I know it's generally a non issue for a good syn lube.

I personally have a 14 Seadoo RXP-X, and I run Amsoil Marine 10w40. Hasn't missed a beat in 125 hours.

My other ski is a 06 Honda R12X Turbo. I run Amsoil 10w40 High Zinc in that one. It also runs great with 557 hours.

I believe in Amsoil for these high stress applications.

Manufacturers will always error of the side of caution with the 100 hours recommendation. They don't want idiots going ten years without a change...My oil is still crystal clear on the dipstick and has 45 hours. I will go 3 years and change it next fall. No doubt in my mind a UOA would come back like in good condition

I just posted a UOA for the T6 that had been in a '06 Sea Doo GTI SE for two seasons.
Check it out in the UOA folder....
Only ran the oil for 12 hours and that was two seasons worth of riding...pretty sad.
It had sheared to a 30 wt but had plenty TBN left. I could have run it longer but to get to 100 hours would take 10 years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tinmanSC
Sometimes I put it on pie. It's delicious.
The Green or the yellow ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back