Cleaning package additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
does one exist? if not someone should make one and sell it to be used like VSOT...

bottle a heavy concentration of the cleaning additives that are already in motor oil and sell it by the gallon to be added to oil like 1oz/quart etc...

why? cause there are REAL good oils like havoline and supertech out there that could have their cleaning abilities boosted by something like this for cheap.... I thought about this after seeing Mobil Clean 5000 at $4 a quart, and I'm sure the 7500 is like $5 a quart... the 5000 has 16% more cleaning ads than regular mobil, and the 7500 has 34% more.... I think it could be a successful additive, what do you guys think? maybe I'm nuts.

quote:

Originally posted by Zee1:
does one exist? if not someone should make one and sell it to be used like VSOT...

bottle a heavy concentration of the cleaning additives that are already in motor oil and sell it by the gallon to be added to oil like 1oz/quart etc...

why? cause there are REAL good oils like havoline and supertech out there that could have their cleaning abilities boosted by something like this for cheap.... I thought about this after seeing Mobil Clean 5000 at $4 a quart, and I'm sure the 7500 is like $5 a quart... the 5000 has 16% more cleaning ads than regular mobil, and the 7500 has 34% more.... I think it could be a successful additive, what do you guys think? maybe I'm nuts.

What's wrong with VSOT or SLOB for that matter?

LC20, of course, is a good choice!

I think the OP was refering to the REGULAR additives in oil, such as calcium, phosphor, boron, magnesium, whatever they add that cleans deposits - pack that into a heavy concentrate to be used as an additive - didn't know that LC20 was exactly that.

AFAIK VSOT is just moly, how does that clean?
SLOB is a bunch of ZDDP - an anti-wear additive, how does THAT clean?

quote:

Originally posted by Karbon:
I think the OP was refering to the REGULAR additives in oil, such as calcium, phosphor, boron, magnesium, whatever they add that cleans deposits - pack that into a heavy concentrate to be used as an additive - didn't know that LC20 was exactly that.

VSOT also has 1000 ppm Boron & Calcium
SLOB also has 4200 ppm Calcium.

A little HDEO like Delo works well to boost cleaning power, I use it with my Chevron. LC can do this too.

quote:

Originally posted by Karbon:

First of all,
welcome.gif

Karbon...

now start reading
nono.gif

Second, there's nothing in oil designed to "clean" deposits. zddp is a multifunction additive found in VSOT and SLOB that has detergent properties. This isn't going to really CLEAN anything (not designed to, anyway) but it will help keep a clean engine from becoming dirty.

The esters found in synthetic oils have a slight cleaning effect and were capitalized on by our own Frank Miller, creator of the Auto-rx application.

what is IN LC20 that cleans? not asking for trade secrets, but what clean? does it use esters like ARX or something diffrent? a solvent?

I recommend a search. I am not an expert. LC20 has a secondary solvent effect. It's primary purpose is an anti-oxident and yeah, good luck finding out exactly what's in it. It smells like acetone but I understand it isn't.....

CD2 sells an 'OIL DETERGENT'.
Marvel/Rislone/Lubegard/Wynns/Prepup.... are others you can use.

The question that one should ask is, "what chemicals are the detergents/dispersants in a motor oil?", "will they show up in a VOA?", and "how much can we safely use?".

LT4, I'll just tell you it hasn't worked for me and if you may recall, I posted a thread a couple weeks back asking anyone to demonstrate the cleaning qualities of HDEOs with before and after pics. I had no takers. I've run about 4-5 OCIs of Castrol Tection Extra in my saab (the last one spiked with SLOB) and I'm hard pressed to see the slightest change. When I ran arx I did at least see some of the baked on scaley deposits flake off.

CD-2 Oil Detergent is probably the closest thing that matches the discription. There is no VOA on it but from what I have read it sounds like a bunch of oil detergents in a bottle.

quote:

Originally posted by Thee1:
CD-2 Oil Detergent is probably the closest thing that matches the discription. There is no VOA on it but from what I have read it sounds like a bunch of oil detergents in a bottle.

I heard from some VOA that its pretty much just a lighter oil(~20weight) and not much else.

I think it's even lighter than that, maybe a 5 weight - it's almost waterlike.

I just got back from biglots and grabbed all 5 bottles they had at $1.30 each.

maybe it's a solvent - though it had no solvent smell, not sure but I emailed them to ask what they used as detergents, doubt they will say anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back