97 Integra Ls Motor Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
If you don't know when the water pump, timing belt and tensioner were last changed, put that task at the top of your to-do list.
Once that service is done, you'll be good to go for as long as you're likely to own this car.
Don't find out the hard way that you should have done this work, either.
This Honda engine isn't going to care too much about oil or filter choice.
Most Hondas don't and you do live in a climate where real cold is not a consideration.

Use any conventional 5W-30 on 5K drains or any syn on 7.5K drains.
Honda did recommend 7.5K or one year on any API SG 5W-30 when your car was new, so these should be very conservative intervals.
I hope you enjoy many miles of happy ownership.
In this generation of Honda product, you probably will.

really? teggy's are not picky about oil? and I havent heard anyone metion castrol?
confused.gif

No, your car will not be picky about oil.
Four cylinder Honda engines aren't, not even the really high redline ones, although they may use some oil.
Incidentally, nobody can tell you either the age or condition of a timing belt by looking at it.
Just to look at it requires considerable work, at which point you might as well just go ahead and replace it, along with the water pump and tensioner.
I've done this job on Hondas in the past.
The hardest part is probably breaking the crankshaft pulley bolt loose, since you'll need to remove this pulley to get the timing belt cover off.
You'll then have access to the belt, water pump and so on.
There is no other way of getting a decent look at the belt, and looking at it won't tell you anything anyway.

good choice for a car. i have a 01 integra. Super fun and reliable cars to drive.

As for oil, this car does NOT need synthetic. You will not see any benefits from it aside from extended drain. I use valvoline maxlife in mine. I have 145k on mine.

I would put maxlife or pennzoil high mileage in your integra...it will purr quite nicely with these thick 5w-30 weights.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
good choice for a car. i have a 01 integra. Super fun and reliable cars to drive.

As for oil, this car does NOT need synthetic. You will not see any benefits from it aside from extended drain. I use valvoline maxlife in mine. I have 145k on mine.

I would put maxlife or pennzoil high mileage in your integra...it will purr quite nicely with these thick 5w-30 weights.

Put synthetic has already been used in there I thought once I move up to synthetic I cant go back to regular or conventional?

Use synthetic if you want to - I don't think it's an issue. I personally think synthetic puts less strain on the timing belt as well - the cams turn easier. If the age and strength of the belt are a concern, keeping the revs low will help. Shifts at redline are hard on belts.

Originally Posted By: Juelz
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman

Put synthetic has already been used in there I thought once I move up to synthetic I cant go back to regular or conventional?

You are free to switch back and forth from syn to dino as often as you want without ill effects. The only real bonus from syn (besides the long drain intervals) in a mostly stock integra is less valve train clatter (sewing machine sound) from the VC and faster starts in the cold if you lived up north like me.

Last edited by a moderator:
are hondas not so picky about oil filters as it is oil too? I saw Purolator in walmart for $3 while the oem honda filter is $8!

are hondas not so picky about oil filters as it is oil too? I saw Purolator in walmart for $3 while the oem honda filter is $8!

The most common OEM oil filter for Honda/Acura is made by Honewell (fram orange can). So by that being the oem/superior recommended filter, you can pretty much blindly pick any oil filter off of a retail shelf and be the same if not better off than the (Fram OCOD) re-badged OEM filter.

Purolator classic at walmart is a good quality filter that is also cheap at only $3+change for one, it's the route I go with my B18b.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Brenden

The most common OEM oil filter for Honda/Acura is made by Honewell (fram orange can). So by that being the oem/superior recommended filter, you can pretty much blindly pick any oil filter off of a retail shelf and be the same if not better off than the (Fram OCOD) re-badged OEM filter.

Purolator classic at walmart is a good quality filter that is also cheap at only $3+change for one, it's the route I go with my B18b.

thanks I'll go with purolator then! I still havent decided on which motor oil even though my car isnt picky about motor oil though lol Was gonna go with havoline because its $13 for 5 quarts!! but they dont have it in synthetic. So im probably gonna go with castrol, penzoil, and super tech as my last option?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back