Cut Open Honda A02 Oil Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I went to the dealer to stock up on oil filters and I got the A02 variant this time. I got buy 3 get 1 free so I cut the "free" one open this morning to take a look and the innards unused. It seems like a decent oil filter for my OCI but honestly I like the A01 better. Here are the pics, the main concern I have is the center tube has a small opening on the top around the endcap. If the ADBV doesnt seal then it would let unfiltered oil bypass through that spot, it seems however that there is lost of pressure on the base of the ADBV so that shouldnt be an issue. Also like the construction of the A01 bypass valve better as it is all metal. Anyway here are the pics...enjoy
wink.gif

CAM002611_zps7e77ec81.jpg
CAM002621_zpsc453e42e.jpg
CAM002641_zps4560dbfe.jpg
Oh, and the top endcap that looks to be frayed is where the hacksaw snagged it.
CAM002661_zps3fd74be4.jpg
CAM002681_zps89192b93.jpg
Comparison

Thanks for cutting and posting, you are getting right handy at this!
smile.gif

Looks like it would work just fine for longer OCI's, the misaligned endcap is not impressive however that is plugged by the overlap of the ADBV or bypass valve so it's a non-issue.

Far more pleats than your typical Fram.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
smile.gif

Looks like it would work just fine for longer OCI's, the misaligned endcap is not impressive however that is plugged by the overlap of the ADBV or bypass valve so it's a non-issue.

Yes, thats what I was hoping about the misaligned tube. They are all that way for some reason. If it were doing a poor job of filtering or letting oil bypass would that show up in a UOA?

Yes, the misaligned tube is unsightly but not an operational issue. With along OCI, a filter that had an issue would show up in an UOA but if it were a small leak somewhere it likely wouldn't be a dramatic difference because the majority of the oil would be filtered. If you were trending, you would see an upwards jump. Otherwise, you would probably just see a UOA with contaminants at an elevated level. High DP, such as from a cold start, could enlarge some types of filter damage/holes, such as a media tear. The bigger the hole or leak, the more it would show up in the UOA.

If edhackett was here I know what he'd say about pic #2. I suppose if the bypass/leaf spring assembly crimp (or adbv) adequately holds an overlap of the fiber endcap on the centertube, it's non issue. But....

Biggest thing for me though, why would I chase this construction combined with an ISO tested ~65%@20um when so many other OF's have much better efficiency with a construction I prefer, all for the same or less money. Rhetorical question. I wouldn't and I don't. Just me.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
smile.gif

Yes, thats what I was hoping about the misaligned tube. They are all that way for some reason. If it were doing a poor job of filtering or letting oil bypass would that show up in a UOA?

Nothing dramatic in a UOA I'd bet, in fact they don't even ask about filtration when you send in your sample.

But I don't believe it's possible for the OCOD to test at 95% and the Tough Guard at 99% if they are letting unfiltered oil through. Pretty much proof in my mind that the gaps, when they exist, are sealed by the ADBV and bypass valve.

I sure wouldn't go out of my way or spend a dime more to use that filter. WIX/Puro has better construction for less money. It's not bad, just nothing special.

Are there any filter media differences in the Honda branded filter vs other Fram made filters?

The low efficiency is a Honda thing, not a Fram thing. The Fram branded filters are way better, even the low end versions. I was tempted to say something along the lines of what sayjac did but decided not to deride the OP's choice. I always go for the highest efficiency I can (at least somewhat) justify financially. It's true that there isn't much difference in wear within the common filter efficiency ranges, but no engine ever died early because the oil was too clean.

Last edited:
Also like the construction of the A01 bypass valve better as it is all metal.

Where is the bypass valve ... no photo of it.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
Are there any filter media differences in the Honda branded filter vs other Fram made filters?

I'd say yes, a considerable difference due to the fact that the Honda OEM filters don't have near the efficiency as the FRAM filters.

You should be able to see a definite impression in the end cap on the dome end where the leaf spring/bypass valve assy seals around the center tube hole. Much harder to see the sealing impression on the ADBV end cap.

The A02 HAS BEEN CUT OPEN 10'S OF TIMES IN THE PAST COUPLE YEARS - WHY WASTE IT? There are photos all over the web. I thought everyone knew it is a spec FRAM.
I'll stick with my WIX or ACdelco on the 1.5. My Honda didnt like the fake honda "blue fram" filter - Neither did "mr. kNocky", our 2009 Subaru, like the "blue fram".

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Highly mediocre.

A great example of low bidder at work. The only reason that Honda buys it is that it's cheap...

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Also like the construction of the A01 bypass valve better as it is all metal.

Where is the bypass valve ... no photo of it.

The photo is dark but the bypass is built into the leafspring

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Highly mediocre.

Well if Honda has specified that they are after volume at the expense of filtration I don't see the problem.
If there was a problem with this system wouldn't time have proved its inadequate by counting how many Honda engines died early deaths,which obviously isn't the case considering Honda motors are among the longest lasting on earth.
If they think volume is more important than filtering particles smaller than 20 micron does that mean >20 micron particles are harmless.
I am trying to infer what this is telling us.
Does it mean those particles do little harm thus using a less efficient media,or is it for longevity allowing the filter to be used for longer because the media holds more contaminants while still allowing a large volume of oil.
What can we take away from this considering the oem specs and suggested oci in this engine?

I don't understand how it can have *lower* efficiency than a standard fram. Why would they request a media that has less filtration capability than a standard FRAM. It can't possibly be a cost issue. Those A02 are constructed nicely...lots of pleats, tight, even, excellent bonding. Hmm...

Last edited:
Quote:
I don't understand how it can have *lower* efficiency than a standard fram. Why would they request a media that has less filtration capability than a standard FRAM....

How is easy, using less efficient media. Why, I heard a possible explanation when I visited the Fram Test Labs last fall, but it too remains in the realm of conjecture and speculation so I won't repeat it. Suffice to say though, a lower efficiency Honda A02 spec was confirmed there. That being after the Amsoil ISO testing published some OEM filter test results including said A02. It is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back