2013 Toyota Tundra Oil Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am the proud new owner of a 2013 Toyota Tundra, and I must say it is one of the nicest vehicles I have owned. I need opinions on oil, I will switch to synthetic around 1000 miles (I have 7 on it now) but it uses a grade (0w-20) that I have very little experience with. I have always used Mobil 1, but they do not list an oil of this grade so I am open to switch to a different brand. It has the 5.7L V-8, and will be used as a truck, often towing my 26' fishing boat. Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Hi Binky,

Use Toyota 0w20, it's top shelf oil. One of the best around. Many Honda guys and owners of other makes use it in their cars and trucks with excellent results. Plus you probably already have full synthetic in there now.

Congrats on the truck I have been using Quacker State synthetic 0w20 for the last 20,000 on my truck with zero problems. I love my Tundra good luck with it

One more thing buy the metal oil filter cap wrench from Toyota to take the housing off for the oil filter don't mess with that. It's not hard to do the oil it's just a long process

Your Tundra may have came with the Toyota Genuine 0W-20 (or TGMO as it's called around here) from the factory (of course you have already done one OCI so it's been dumped). The non-severe service schedule would be 10,000 miles or 1 year when using TGMO 0W-20.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Buy the oil at WM. Mobil 1 is a lot cheaper than Toyota oil.

I just bought some Toyota 0W-20 synthetic at the dealer for my Toyota Land Cruiser with the 5.7L engine and it was $4.95 per quart.

I highly recommend this Toyota oil to the OP for his Tundra
thumbsup2.gif

Sure, Mobil 1 0W-20 AFE is approx. $23 per 5 quart jug (about $4.60/quart) at Wal-Mart so it is a little cheaper, but not "a lot cheaper than Toyota Oil."

For my money, the Toyota Genuine Motor Oil (TGMO) 0W-20 is a much better oil than Mobil 1. No doubt, either one will get the job done, but for just a little bit more it seems to make a lot of sense to stick with the Toyota oil.

To the OP:

Part# for the 0W-20 Toyota oil is 00279-0WQTE-01 when purchased in one quart bottles.

You might also want to consider the Toyota TRD Performance oil filter in lieu of the standard Toyota oil filter.

Standard filter on the left, TRD Performance filter on the right:

LC200OilFilterComparo7_19MA_zps88447c56.jpg

LC200OilFilterComparo1_19MA_zps4c7c6fb8.jpg

The standard filter is a cellulose filter while the TRD filter is a 100% synthetic glass/polyester filter that's 98% efficient at 20 microns.

FYI.

11.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Binkmann
I didn't realize Toyota made 0w-20 synthetic oil. Makes that easy!

They don't. Mobil makes it to Toyota's specifications.

Originally Posted By: danthaman1980
TGMO 0W-20 might be the best choice. Nothing wrong with M1 0W-20, but the TGMO is a better oil.

It is a lighter oil with a higher VI that probably makes it a better oil for this application. But that doesn't make it a better oil overall.

I'd run whatever name brand synthetic 0w20 is on sale or has rebates available. M1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge, etc. all will do the job for you with no issues.

M1 0-20 performs very well in high heat conditions or extreme cold. Also for extended OCIs, as I do, it holds up great. My engines appear clean as new through the oil fill hole. Yes, M1 does make the Toyota oil.

I have not changed the oil yet, so the factory oil is still in the engine. It only has 250 miles on it, I was going to do a change at 1000, then again at 10000. I am unsure which 5.7 engine I have, I do know it is not the flex fuel model. This my 5th Toyota truck (3 Tacomas, 2nd Tundra) and so far I am truly impressed with the way it drives, the ergonomics, and of course the power.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back