what products clean valve stem seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1995 Cutlass Supreme 3.1 with 150,000.

About a year ago I started getting a tiny puff of smoke on cold startup. That puff has grown and is now a small cloud. No consumption of oil.

I understand this typically means valve stem seals aren't sealing and oil drips in while the engine is off?

I have read that AutoRX is good for this, BUT, this is my play car, a Convertible, and I only drive it here and there. An AutoRX treatment (double treatment, since the car is over 100k miles) would literally take years to put on those miles.

I've read MMO in the oil could help?
Would seafoam or techron sucked in help?
Should I still consider ARX?

Brian

I wouldnt dump any strong solvent into your oil(MMO).

Maxlife might work but again it works based on time and mileage and in your case it might take a loooong time like you stated about ARX.

Fuel system cleaners really wouldnt have any effect on the valve stem seals as they should really not have any contact with them.

Personally I would put up with it until the winter months when you probably dont drive it that much. Then simply replace those valve seals. Or, just put up with the problem unless it gets worse. This all depends how hard it is to replace the seals yourself or how much money it would cost to get them replaced by a mechanic. It all depends of the design of your engine. I know in my L4 4 Cylinder 2.5L engine its about a 2 hour job mostly involving taking the cam off. But your engine is likely much more complex.

I agree with dbdeland. Clean the stem seals gently with ARX first. Worked well with my 68 Firebird 350. Went from a morning smoke show to barely noticeable.

I don't recommend any product that is designed to swell seals. For a temporary gain, the result is usually much quicker wear.

Brian,

If I remember correctly my car showed noticable improvement well within the first 500 miles of Auto RX. But then agian my car's problems were probably different than yours.

good luck

Valvoline MaxLife - Keeps your seals pliable and supple.
smile.gif

If the seals are "redeemable," then ARX would definitely be the hot ticket. I love the stuff.

I just got an old 4WD Kubota tractor and I can hardly wait to launch into it with ARX. I've used it in all my vehicles (except the new ones), in the compressors at my shop, in my Dad's vehicles, and in every case there has been a measureable improvement - either in fuel economy or in lowered oil usage.

IF your valve stem seals can be "healed" by an additive, then ARX will do it, and do it relatively quickly.

I have been using MaxLife, and with pretty good results. Mild puff of smoke, once a day. Then I took apart the intake to replace the lower intake manifold gaskets and have since been running Mobil 5000 and the smoking has gotten much worse.

So I have proof the MaxLife is a great product.

Oil usage is not an issue with this car.

Well then you must be in favor of swelling the valve seal to solve your morning blues, as in smoke. However, it may be due to deposits in the valve guides and the smoking with run clean 5000 has returned due to a lack of swelling. Or may be its due to where the cam stops when you shut her down. IMO it still makes cents(yeah a Pun)to clean up the guides and seals with an ARX cleaning and rinse. Then go back to the Maxlife if you still have the problem. That is if you want to try to solve the morning blues and not just get back to where you've been.

Wasn't saying I would just go back to MaxLife, only commenting on what I have experienced so far.

Still a little worried that ARX will expose a bad oil pan gasket, or a bad main seal. I know ARX causes no harm itself and if leaks happen, it's because the gasket/seal was bad and stuffed with dirt that got removed. But you gotta remember this is my 3rd car and my time is very limited.

I'd rather drive a slight smoker than have to replace the main seal.

All said and done... I will probably take my chances and do the ARX. I don't gamble for money, but I guess I can take a risk on some seals and gaskets. The new intake gasket and valve covers should be able to go through the ARX leak free I'd assume.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back