Chain case oil for a Harley.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harley-Davidson Formula + (Mini VOA via Amsoil)

Petroleum based.

Ca 169
P 230
B 210
S - some
Zn - essentially none
No other elemental additives.

Viscosity - within SAE 50 range.

Listed as a GL-1, does test out as a GL-3.

Published specs:
Specific Gravity: 0.857
Pounds per Gallon: 7.14
Viscosity, ASTM D 445,
cSt at 40°C: 168.04
cSt at 100°C: 20.10
Viscosity Index, ASTM D 2270: 139
Brookfield Viscosity, ASTM D 2983,
cP at -26°C - 28,800
cP at -40°C - n/m
Pour Point, ASTM D 97, °F (°C): -60 (-51)
Flash Point, ASTM D 92, °F (°C): 507 (264)

Quote:
It's interesting that all the CVO bikes come with Sync 3 in all 3 holes, but HD recommends the Formula + for the primary & tranny in the 6 speeds.

Really? Can you please post a link to a manual that states this?

All the newer Touring bikes come from the plant in PA with SYN3 in all three holes. My 2011 FLHTK Owners manual states to use SYN3 all three holes.

I've run SYN3 all three holes, Amsoil 20w-50 Engine and Primary/75-110w tranny, Redline MTL in Primary, Schaffer's 7000 20w-50 engine and primary. Never really noticed any difference in the products..

Getting ready to change out to Amsoil 60w in Engine, 75-110w in tranny and Redline MTL in Primary for trip to Sturgis and back..

Greetings from downunder!
First post here although I have been lurking reading)for a while so 'hi' to all.
Presently in the stable is a 1996 FLSTN and a 2009 ElectraGlide Ultra Classic.

I've had a good run with ATF Dexron II in the FLSTN primary case for years but stick with HD Formula+ in the BargeGlide. Seems to work well and shifting is sweet in both as long as the clutches are adjusted properly.

I have been running Valvoline Vr1 Dino 20w50 in the engine Harley Primary oil and BelRay Trans My Heritage is a 2001 runs like day 1

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
For the Primary Chaincase in my 2012 FLHX StreetGlide I use Spectro Chaincase oil, for the 6-speed tranny I use Spectro HD 6-Speed transmission fluid 75w-140 which was designed exclusively for the Harley 6-speed transmission! Its a group 5 Synthetic & is $20.00 a quart but well worth it! For the motor I use Spectro Platinum Synthetic 20W-50! You cannot go wrong with this trio!
Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
For the Primary Chaincase in my 2012 FLHX StreetGlide I use Spectro Chaincase oil, for the 6-speed tranny I use Spectro HD 6-Speed transmission fluid 75w-140 which was designed exclusively for the Harley 6-speed transmission! Its a group 5 Synthetic & is $20.00 a quart but well worth it! For the motor I use Spectro Platinum Synthetic 20W-50! You cannot go wrong with this trio!
I run Schaeffer's 707 in my engine, but Spectro Primary Chaincase in the primary, and Spectro Platinum 6 Speed in my tranny. I'll never use engine oil for those two applications again. FYI, bike is a 2006 Fatboy w 88 twin cam and five speed.

Originally Posted By: Climb14er
All Redline Synthetic in my Harley 103 RKC

Redline 20W-50 Motor

Redline Primary Oil

Redline Heavy Shockproof in the tranny.

My bike likes all three!

Same here. I just rode 300 miles for some more Redline 20-50 just for the [censored] of it. I like to do business face to face if I can, and it was a great ride.

You can run Rotella 15w40 in the engine and primary and Rotella 85w140 gear oil in the trans and never know any difference from all of the fancy synthetic oils out there. Ok now hit me with the flamethrower....
13.gif

Rotella 5w40 in the engine and Walmart oil in the primary. Change it every 5K miles. Mobil 1 75w90 in the trans every 15k. Going to run Rotella 15w40 in the Honda CBX once I get it running.

FWIW, my -92 Springer will tomorrow get
- Belray Big Twin Primary Chaincase Lubricant for primary drive
- Belray Big Twin Transmission Oil for gearbox

Quote:
The Harley Formula+ is nothing more than (approx) 45 grade mineral oil with virtually no additives. This is not unusual. Most automotive manual transmission lubes are similar, except that they are thinner.

The part of the comment about automotive manual transmissions is not correct.

Automotive Manual Transmission Lubes

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
The Harley Formula+ is nothing more than (approx) 45 grade mineral oil with virtually no additives. This is not unusual. Most automotive manual transmission lubes are similar, except that they are thinner.

The part of the comment about automotive manual transmissions is not correct.

Automotive Manual Transmission Lubes

Hmmmm. Nice read. Thank-you !

Originally Posted By: Finn

Right. We did also adjust the primary chain tension but that was a minor adjustment. I have no idea what oil was in the primary/transmission before but the difference is like night and day.

The horrible KLONK when selecting 1st gear is gone and the tranny is smooooth.

Back when i had my dyna, i used mobil 1 15w-50 in the twin cam, harley 20w-50 in the chain case, and mobil1 gear oil in the trans.

I tried valvoline motorcycle 20w-50 in the chain case once and it seemed to have much more wear stuck to the drain plug so i went back.

Interesting is how everyone says they use this and that or recommend this or that but never say how many miles they have used each product.

I mean really this information is useless without specifics but everyone goes by what someone said on the internet. Reminds me of that commercial about the guy who claims he's a Frenchman. Bonchor!!

Right. We did also adjust the primary chain tension but that was a minor adjustment. I have no idea what oil was in the primary/transmission before but the difference is like night and day.

The horrible KLONK when selecting 1st gear is gone and the tranny is smooooth.

Redline shockproof tranny fluid really lessened the first gear clunk on my street bob.

Originally Posted By: pwr2tow
Interesting is how everyone says they use this and that or recommend this or that but never say how many miles they have used each product.

I mean really this information is useless without specifics but everyone goes by what someone said on the internet. Reminds me of that commercial about the guy who claims he's a Frenchman. Bonchor!!

Been using shockproof for 25000 in the tranny,been using rotella for 7500 this far in the engine and 25000 in my primary.
No issues to report. I'm still using the stock clutch with a highly modifier 106 with 107hp and 115tq.
I hit 100tq at 2200-2300 rpm and there is no clutch slip whatsoever.
With that much torque I expected at least a slight slip when I twist full wrist however it grabs and you better hold on tight because the front tire leaves the ground until you either shift of twist less.
Rotella conventional 15w-40 is the best value bike oil purchaseable. It can be used in everything from a shared sump to a separate fluids for all.
Great stuff.

My bike is an 08 Softail and the service manual still shows recommending Formula + in the primary & transmission.

I use a 20-50 sync in the tranny with good results, no filings on the drain plug, but use either the HD Formula + in the primary or a 10-40 sync motorcycle oil. Nothing wrong with the Formula in the primary but I'm a sync fan so I've gone to the 10-40 MC sync. I've used 20-50 sync in the past but find that when the bike gets hot, there is more clutch drag than with either the Formula + or the 10-40 MC oil.

My current fill is:
Engine- Castrol 20W-50 V Twin motorcycle oil.
Tranny- Formula+
Primary- Chevron Delo 15W-40 truck oil.

Next time I'm due for a change I'm going to follow Clevy's advice and try 15W-40 in the engine. Mine is an all stock 96c.i.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back