One tire wearing much faster than others. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put some Bridgestone Alenzas on my wife's Rav4 two years ago. 40K miles later, she's got one tire down to the wear bars and the others still have some life in them. (As defined by my super accurate eye measurement of how much tread is left before the other three hit the bars.)

What would cause just one tire to go bald that much faster? They've been rotated, but not as often as they should have been. As such, the 65K warranty is probably not even worth asking about.

I'm guessing this may just be the way the cookie crumbles when you don't rotate enough, but was interested to see if there might be any other thoughts on the matter.

Originally Posted By: TWG1572

What would cause just one tire to go bald that much faster?

Burnouts.
thumbsup2.gif

How/Where does she drive ? Driving patterns make a big difference in tire wear as well, especially if its a regular routine ( i.e. if her drive to work involves alot of corners where that tire is your outside front/rear tire, it will wear faster. More so with the lack of regular rotations. Or like someone said, could be an alignment issue. Have you gotten an alignment check recently ?

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Improper alignment on that corner? Did she hit something with that tire at some point to knock things out of alignment?

Or that tire could have been ran for a length of time with low pressure ?????

Originally Posted By: OtisBlkR1
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Improper alignment on that corner? Did she hit something with that tire at some point to knock things out of alignment?

Or that tire could have been ran for a length of time with low pressure ?????

Both of these suggestions sound pretty good.

Another possibility: something worn in the suspension, like a damper or a ball joint somewhere.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
Originally Posted By: TWG1572

What would cause just one tire to go bald that much faster?

Burnouts.
thumbsup2.gif

If its the v6 Rav 4 that makes sense.

I have had this happen on "just about" every vehicle that I've owned to some degree! Even though I rotate regularly w/o missing any rotations, this still happens.

Toward the end of the tires life with me(~3-4/32), I have paid attention to the corner of the vehicle that wears the least, and end up keeping the most worn tire in that particular spot for the remaining time.

Yes, I have my suspensions checked out on a regular basis along with G/Y Service Center Free Alignment Checks
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back