GTX Syn-Blend 5w/30. 5,500 GMC Canyon 3.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
here's my latest report. Lafayette, Lousiana. my driving style is conservative. traffic to/from work flows good, one cycle waits at the lights 25 minute commute. lunch time runs about 15 minutes, traffic is the same. weekends are a little heavy, but still no long waits at the lights. no towing at all. not too impressed with the TBN#, i was hoping to reach a 6.5-7k OCI with a synblend, but not pay more than $20/5qts ($4/qt). not sure if that's even possible. maybe mix 1qt GTX EDGE? open to any suggestions/thoughts. thanks. btw, that moly # (13) must be a mistake?

Copper trending down nicely, I am sure you could run this a little longer. If the TBN really gets to you run Edge FST for 8k then test. If you dont mind switching brands, QSUD is probably the best oil for the money out right now and you could do 7.5k no sweat IMO. It is all what you want to spend. Sticking with this oil/OCI is not a bad choice either.

Looks like it did well for you, just not an extended drain oil. Maybe try ms5k ? That seems to be doing well for others in long drains and it's priced very nice. Good luck!

If you are looking to run a low cost, Dexos 1 oil, try Valvoline Durablend or Maxlife. Both come in around the same price as GTX Synblend.
I would cast my vote for MS5K is Dexos 1 were not required. There is always MSSyn.
MS5K run great in my Atlas motor. I bet the I5 would do just as well as the I6.

Last edited:
The moly is just residual from your previous fill. Wear numbers are all down and it stayed in grade nicely. I see no reason to change but you've already found the ceiling on it IMO.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
The moly is just residual from your previous fill. Wear numbers are all down and it stayed in grade nicely. I see no reason to change but you've already found the ceiling on it IMO.

If I remember correctly, his previous fill was the same oil. The moly should be there. Another reporting error?

Originally Posted By: salv
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

If I remember correctly, his previous fill was the same oil. The moly should be there. Another reporting error?

His previous OCI is showing 71ppm moly so I figured that is where it came from. I don't know what it was though.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
It is what it is. 5k max with that combo.

looks like it. my cost for 1jug + 1qt with tax comes out to about $22.80 ($3.80/qt), so i can't really complain for a brand name synblend. Blackstone re-ran my oil and came up with the same results for moly 13ppm...

ac/delco pf61. i've run this on my last truck (Colorado 3.5L) using MClean5k for 5k oci. then switched to M1EP/PureOne PL25288 combo for 10k oci's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back