Clear Synthetic 75w/90 Gear Oil???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am hoping someone can help answer my question. Yesterday I was changing the rear diff. fluid on my '03 Tahoe.

Having never used "Synthetic" Gear Lube before I didn't think anything of it when I began pooring in the new fluid. I purchased it at Advanced Auto and was using their brand.

Since I was teaching my son and explianing how you can smell "burnt" fluid and see the viscocity between your fingers. I was surprised that the new oil was clear but it had/has the proper smell and viscosity.

After pooring in 2 quarts and begging to poor in the third my son hsaid, "Dad its Yellow". I immediately stopped. The color of the third quart is what I would have expected, having used synthetic engine oil since the '80's.

Does anyone know if the clear oil is OK??? I went back to the store and they gave me (2) new quarts and both of them are the common "yellow" color??

Thank you for your help

I've never seen 'clear' gear oil...

If it were mine - having just poured in 2 quarts of clear gear oil, and all the new quarts being the more normal yellow color, I would question the quality of the store brand gear oil. I would dump the clear oil, buy 3 quarts of a different brand, and start over. Stick with a major brand like Pennzoil, Valvoline, Mobil, Castrol, etc.

It was probably a different batch. Oil color, even the same brand, can vary.

I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that Advance gear oils are made by Warren Unilube, who makes decent auto fluids.

I still need to "top Off" the fluid

So you dont think Mixing the two should matter?

Originally Posted By: saltedleech
I still need to "top Off" the fluid

So you dont think Mixing the two should matter?

No not at all. The color in most oil is dye.

thumbsup2.gif

Many oils have a dye added to color them to some tolerable and desireable market perception.

I would think it's OK to use; it's likely the color was simply a bit "off".

Quote:
After pooring in 2 quarts and begging to poor in the third my son hsaid, "Dad its Yellow". I immediately stopped. The color of the third quart is what I would have expected, having used synthetic engine oil since the '80's.

Was your son viewing it from a different direction or at a different angle under a different lighting situation than you?

Even with the clearest transparent base oils, the additives will give it a slightly yellowish, to honey-colored, to brownish color, and I mean a very light tinting.

Last edited:
It was/is clear like hydraulic or brake fluid. The "yellow" was what I would consider the normal color of differential fluid or heavy gear lube.

WPP and other large blenders use computer automated blending so this is highly unusual.

If there are any questions about it, save the fluids and have VOA's done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back