Subaru Forester Viscosity Recommendation - 2003

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously a lot has changed since 2003, both in oil and engine design. One could argue that a modern full synthetic 0w20 would provide as good or better protection to a conventional 5w30 of 2003.

I have the same engine as you in my 2003 Outback.

It has seen many oils over the past 130k miles, conventional/synblend/synthetic in 5w30 and 10w30. OCI has ranged from 4K to 10k depending on what it got.

Thusfar, my favorites are PYB and QSAD for conventional and QSUD for synthetic. The NA 2.5 is fairly easy on oil. Our turbo counterparts seems to love T6 5w40 and M1 0w40.

tl;dr
Any current API rated 0/5w30 will keep it happy.

I guess there is sort of a mfg acknowledgement that 40 weight has a place in Subarus. I looked @ my 2003 toyota recommendation and it is 5w-30 top to bottom.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I maintain 2 subies. An 02 forester and an 07 outback. Both drink oil. The 07 is always a qt low with 30wt
I'm running xxw40 in both and that helped a lot

Have you checked the PCV and valve cover gaskets?

I rarely see significant consumption without some problem (leak, clogged PCV, etc). I'm down maybe half a quart over a 5-8K OCI.

Looks like a camera/lighting issue.

A nice full syn 0w-20/30 would be nice.
But for reasonable OCI's while constantly checking for impending HG failure, any quality 5w30 will do you well.

It calls for 5w-30, I don't know what you would expect to gain by using 0w-20. Please don't say fuel economy.

Does it burn any oil? What's the history of the car? Naturally aspirated Subarus aren't hard on oil like the turbo cars are. I still wouldn't use Xw20 though. The EJ series engine in that car dates back to the 1991 Legacy.

Given the car's age, I'd go for a good high mileage blend or syn 5w30. Any flavor of Maxlife would be a good choice, as would Defy or M1.

Dennis (bluesubie) will probably chime in here, he maintains an Outback of similar age on Maxlife blend IIRC.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Remember there's a star that says 5w30 preferred. Since 5w30 is readily available, there's no reason to stray.

The EPA requires Subaru (or anyone else) to list Resource Conserving oil as the 'Preferred" oil if that oil is to be used in fuel mileage testing. In a naturally aspirated Subaru there's little reason to avoid RC (ILSAC) oil, but don't think there's some compelling technical reason to prefer it.

If you're trailer towing or live in Death Valley, moving up slightly in viscosity is an entirely reasonable thing to do. Just try to convince an Australian Subaru owner to use something thinner than 40wt, most still insist on 10w50. Subarus live long, healthy lives in OZ.

I say no to 0w-20.

Plenty of proven 5w-30's: QSUD, PP, PU all have good results in NA Subaru engines.

The BITOG favs M1 0w-40 and GC 0w-30 are also good choices, if you want to run a touch thicker than 5w-30.

If you want to get fancy run the "caterham blend"!

Summer your fine with T5 or T6 if you want to, I don't see the point in T6 when M1 0w-40 is available for the same or less. T5 can save you a few bucks though. I've run PYB 5w-30 in our 09 forester and it was quite smooth.

No need to over think the choices here. Just get a quality oil that is in spec, easy to source and doesn't break the bank. I'd stay 5k on conventional and 7.5k on synthetic for oci. (QSUD 5w-30 hard to beat at WM price) Make sure your filter is rated to the interval your running, and search on the filter bypass valve spec to decide where you think you should be on that.

I used 5w-30 Pennzoil High Mileage in my 2002 Outback with 5,000 mile OCI until I sold it with 183K (never had any real oil usage) and purchase a 2012 Legacy (using PU 5w-30 full synthic).

RT5 10w30 (hths 3.5+) for summer and trailer towing season. 0w30 for the winter.

I wouldn't run a 20 weight in the subaru. But I would, and have, run a 40 weight
grin.gif

FYI, my 2008 manual is identical.

Originally Posted By: Mark_Walk
My son runs German Castrol 0w30 in his Forester and the car is super smooth and does not use any oil.

This would also be an excellent year round oil. But pricier than my coveted RT5
thumbsup2.gif

This is very similar to the oil recommendations chart for our '09, which does share the same engine.
I've had good results with 5W-30, although I have used GC in the past and have it in there now, since I had some laying around the garage that I wanted to use.
In your area (or mine), you could use a 10W-30 year round if you wanted to.
If you want to settle on one grade, use 5W-30.
If you see excessive consumption, bump up to an HM 5W-30, or try a 5W-40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back