0W40 or 5W50 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Polaris used to recommend 0W-40, but they now recommend 5W-50 in all their engines and have changed their OEM oil to match this recommendation. I have to think they saw a reason for stepping up to a 50 grade over a 40.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
Polaris used to recommend 0W-40, but they now recommend 5W-50 in all their engines and have changed their OEM oil to match this recommendation. I have to think they saw a reason for stepping up to a 50 grade over a 40.

thumbsup2.gif
I agree with KD0AXS.

Originally Posted By: Realtech214
some people on here have told me to use a full synthetic 5W50

Castrol

If they are telling you to use it I'd agree with the previous posts; probably a good reason. Especially since last visit to the shop near me there was no 50W Polaris oil. Polaris tends to be very aggressive about "their oil." At least that's what I've seen around me.

Yes Polaris backspeced everything to 50 grade, but either way I'd use an HDEO. Most of which are 40 grade, which will be fine if you're not the kind of guy that runs the absolute snot out of your 4 wheeler. Don't worry about the XW- number so much especially as you're in Florida.

My personal choice would be 5W-40 Rotella T6 Full Syn.

I spoke to a polaris dealer yesterday for my 2004 Sportsman 500 and he advised that they only recommend 5w-50 now.

They don't sell the 0w-40 any more. I still will run some petro-canada Duron 0w-40 HDEO this winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back