Rotella T6 5w-40 for Audi?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read one thread and found one UOA here, as well as several posts on Audizine that state owners of Audi's with the 1.8T engines are running Rotella T6 5w-40. While Rotella does not meet the ACEA A3 classification my car calls for, would there be any long-term harm in doing so?

I'm currently running M1 0w-40 (Euro) in my Audi, but swithcing to Rotella would reduce my maintenance costs (minimally) and would allow me to somewhat standardize the oil I'm using for my autos and equipment; I currently run Rotella T6 in my tractor, truck, ATV and motorcycle.

Thoughts?

Your fine and could have answered the question yourself. In all honesty as long as u don't use something like a 90 grade gear oil ull be fine. Although totally unrelated I have a 05 tacoma always seen 30 grade and next oil change is gettig rotella t6 without a second guess about it. Everythig I've read about t6 is that it's top notch in any vehicle, I'd say go for it and I think you'll be glad you did and peace of mind now that ur exclusively using one oil

Originally Posted By: Zero
I'm currently running M1 0w-40 (Euro) in my Audi, but swithcing to Rotella would reduce my maintenance costs (minimally)

It'll probably be just fine, however, how is it reducing your maintenance costs?

Last time I checked at Walmart, M1 0w-40 is $22.50/5qt jug ($4.50/qt), while T6 is $21.36/4qt jug ($5.34/qt).

I have heard of people using Rotella 5w40 in their 1.8T's with no problems but with the relatively cheap cost and high quality of M1 0w40 I would go with that every time in your engine. JMO

yea I have been thinking of that too however I love my Valvoline Max Life FULL SYNTHETIC that I get a NAPA near the same price as regular Max Life blend, so that would be hard for me, plus my car has 180K miles and it and it it uses to have a few small leaks.

however on next car I might go that way.

How come you never see ROTELLA or High Mileage oil of that type?

There is little doubt that Rotella T6 would work well in your Audi, although it lacks the appropriate VAG certification.
As Quattro Pete pointed out, M1 0W-40 is actually cheaper and meets the appropriate cert, along with a boatload of others.
Buying a few jugs of a different oil is no great hardship.
I'd get bored if every jug in my garage were blue:)

If you have Audi B8 with TFSI you go get the VWspec 50400 only for Long Life service in most grade 5w30 Shell in Europe Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30.

Originally Posted By: Nikos_jd
If you have Audi B8 with TFSI you go get the VWspec 50400 only for Long Life service in most grade 5w30 Shell in Europe Shell Helix Ultra Extra 5W-30.

He said it's a 1.8T in the first post. He's also in the United States so it would be 502.00, not 504.00.

If you read the gasoline engine UOA section, you will find UOA reports of multiple people using RT6 in VW 1.8T engines. Nonw of them had problems caused by using RT6.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Zero
I'm currently running M1 0w-40 (Euro) in my Audi, but swithcing to Rotella would reduce my maintenance costs (minimally)

It'll probably be just fine, however, how is it reducing your maintenance costs?

Last time I checked at Walmart, M1 0w-40 is $22.50/5qt jug ($4.50/qt), while T6 is $21.36/4qt jug ($5.34/qt).

IIRC, the last time I checked WM, M1 0w-40 was $24-$26/5qt jug and T6 was $21; this has been quite some time ago. The past few times I've purchased M1, I waited for NAPA to put it on sale (I know the owner) and I purchased it below sale price, but I'll definitely check WM again this week.

Thanks.

My beetle with the 1.8T runs great on T6. But, if your Audi is still under warranty I'd stick with oil that meets Audi's spec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back