Differential Is Noisy - Best gear oil to stop it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a 2008 Range Rover Sport, they are notorious for the diffs going out due to poor materials and it looks like a recall may happen within the next year so I'm trying to buy some time with mine. Diff seems to be fine right now, however it's noisy between 30 and 70 MPH and I've got a 1,200 mile trip to make it about 3 weeks. I want the best protection I can put in there for now. Any suggestions?

History: I changed the original fluid about two months ago from the original gear oil (LRN 7591) which is 75w 90r to Royal Purple 75w 90. The sound is still there so I was thinking of trying 85w 140. Any suggestions or brands I should try?

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
91,0000 miles.

It's out of the drive train warranty. Agree that this is not going to fix the issue, but hopefully it will prevent $3500 from leaving my wallet.

Originally Posted By: voltaire1102
...Agree that this is not going to fix the issue, but hopefully it will prevent $3500 from leaving my wallet.

Quote:
Nothing is going to fix worn parts except for new parts.

I don't think you're going to be able to keep your cash, but simply prolong your agony.

As another poster noted, put in some 75W140 and hope for the best.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Quote:
Try adding some friction modifier. TransX comes to mind.

What will that accomplish?

Put in some 75W140 and hope for the best.

About as much as this.^^^^

Originally Posted By: Warstud
Quote:
Try adding some friction modifier. TransX comes to mind.

What will that accomplish?

Put in some 75W140 and hope for the best.

About as much as this.^^^^

I was asking you, what in the LSD additive chemistry would help the situation?

A 75W140 might reduce noise somewhat because of the thicker lubricating film, but if the tranny is worn to the point of no return, not even a thicker film will cure it, but only prolong the inevitable.

Last edited:

I think what I had bought from SF was MTS-R or something like that...

It was "racing" diff lube, IIRC. I have some more of it but Im not at home.

Any recollection of the product and what its viscosity was?

FWIW, Castrol XJ and Redline 75w-140 didnt quiet it, but SF did - so there is something more to the chemistry than just going to a heavier lube.

banana peal and sawdust
smile.gif

Seriously , heard this was done on used car lots years ago .

OP , sorry , nothing I can think of that might help but I have heard the Lucas additive might help .

Originally Posted By: voltaire1102
I've got a 2008 Range Rover Sport, they are notorious for the diffs going out due to poor materials and it looks like a recall may happen within the next year so I'm trying to buy some time with mine. Diff seems to be fine right now, however it's noisy between 30 and 70 MPH and I've got a 1,200 mile trip to make it about 3 weeks. I want the best protection I can put in there for now. Any suggestions?

History: I changed the original fluid about two months ago from the original gear oil (LRN 7591) which is 75w 90r to Royal Purple 75w 90. The sound is still there so I was thinking of trying 85w 140. Any suggestions or brands I should try?

2008 Range Rover Sport Supercharged
91,0000 miles.

I'd look at usimg Castrol's Syntrax Limited Slip 75W-140 (synthetic).

Details here: http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-736-castrol-syntrax-limited-slip-75w-140-formerly-saf-xj-75w-140.aspx

I am a factory (Solihull) trained LR tech (retired). Frankly, if it's going, nothing expensive you pour in is going to prolong it enough to warrant the expense vs something more ordinary. If anything will help at all! If it were mine, I would change the oil to a readily available, not-too-expensive 75W140 that meets the basic mfr. specs but I would take an oil sample from what's in there now. Save enough to send in yourself and maybe enough to keep in the case of a warranty claim. Oil analysis with a particle count could be quire telling as to whether it's a setup or materials issue. Good evidence if you want to pursue a warranty claim or even a goodwill warranty claim.

Noisy diffs is nothing new for LR, even going back three, or is it four, Range Rover generations to the original. I can't speak tot eh current issue, but in previous years it was improper setup at the factory that caused the noise. I made quite a lot of money in the '90-91 MY first re-setting up the diffs in brand new Range Rovers. That didn't often work because if they get too many miles on a bad setup, they will never be quiet. Then we installed new ring and pinions. Finally, when we found some of the housings were so far off that you couldn't get them set up (according to the book), they had us install complete 3rd members

Thanks Jim Allen for the suggestions. It's great to have experience like yours on this board. You kind of simplified what I had expected. I love the RR and have no desire to get rid of it, so I'm budgeting for the big fix. I would just like to quieten it until the day it finally gives out on me. lol

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

I think what I had bought from SF was MTS-R or something like that...

It was "racing" diff lube, IIRC. I have some more of it but Im not at home.

Any recollection of the product and what its viscosity was?

FWIW, Castrol XJ and Redline 75w-140 didnt quiet it, but SF did - so there is something more to the chemistry than just going to a heavier lube.

I looked up the formula and it was a 75W110 differential fluid called HDS-R, a HD PAO/POE formulation dyed red with some special additives for racing applications. We came out with that weight before Amsoil or LE entered the market with their 75W110s.

I have converted a number of GM differentials for racing and the average cost was about $600.00, so I can't possibly see a diffy bill for rebuilding (by a shop specializing in differentials) costing $3600.00.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
MolaKule said:
I have converted a number of GM differentials for racing and the average cost was about $600.00, so I can't possibly see a diffy bill for rebuilding (by a shop specializing in differentials) costing $3600.00.

Main problem is living in the outskirts of po-dunk Jackson MS. Not a lot of indy shops around here willing to work on Range Rovers. The number I quoted was at the LR dealership which would be my choice only in an emergency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back