DT Special Order - checking availability...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just happen to check DT for tires for one of my vehicles and when I checked on availability, all the stores resulted within the list said "Special Order".
Other tires were "4 in stock" or some other number, or "0 in stock".
So wondering what "Special Order" means. Looks like a tire they don't stock but would get them if a customer pay's, maybe up front or ?

So looking at 2 tires, one that comes up Special Order may knock into a decision, as I wouldn't be able to first get a visual of them, and check date code.

Some of the higher cost tires got lower ratings too. And I was surprised that the cheapest tire "Arizonian Silver Edition" rated in the high range comparing to others available for the size - 225/60-17

I'm getting to looking at replacing some cheap tires that were on a recent bought vehicle. Although I only have 5k on them, they grip dry/wet better than I would have imagined for the price point, but the hum/whine is going to have to go, soon. And I can't get the idea out of my mind of having Chinese tires. But they were fresh installs and I bought the vehicle (2010 Tuscon) with them already on. I'd rather had worn tires to have replace myself. For such a cheap tire, not bad, just don't like the whine noise.

The differences in customer ratings are due in part to differences in expectations. If you buy a cheap tire and it performs like a so-so tire you might rate it high, but if an expensive tire performs like a so-so tire you would rate it low. Four stars on a cheap tire is not the same as four stars on an expensive tire.

Originally Posted By: Errtt
Just happen to check DT for tires for one of my vehicles and when I checked on availability, all the stores resulted within the list said "Special Order".
Other tires were "4 in stock" or some other number, or "0 in stock".
So wondering what "Special Order" means. Looks like a tire they don't stock but would get them if a customer pay's, maybe up front or ?

So looking at 2 tires, one that comes up Special Order may knock into a decision, as I wouldn't be able to first get a visual of them, and check date code.

Some of the higher cost tires got lower ratings too. And I was surprised that the cheapest tire "Arizonian Silver Edition" rated in the high range comparing to others available for the size - 225/60-17

I'm getting to looking at replacing some cheap tires that were on a recent bought vehicle. Although I only have 5k on them, they grip dry/wet better than I would have imagined for the price point, but the hum/whine is going to have to go, soon. And I can't get the idea out of my mind of having Chinese tires. But they were fresh installs and I bought the vehicle (2010 Tuscon) with them already on. I'd rather had worn tires to have replace myself. For such a cheap tire, not bad, just don't like the whine noise.

Is there a question?

confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

Is there a question?

confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
The differences in customer ratings are due in part to differences in expectations. If you buy a cheap tire and it performs like a so-so tire you might rate it high, but if an expensive tire performs like a so-so tire you would rate it low. Four stars on a cheap tire is not the same as four stars on an expensive tire.

Makes sense regards to cost vs expectations. I'd expect the same.
I also checked some of the same tires on TR and some of the high cost tires got so & so in the surveys. Wasn't what I was expecting. A couple of the cheaper tires got higher survey ratings regards to wet traction, noise, etc etc.
I think the whine noise on the current tires just have to go. I have played around with pressures, and now I'm done messing with them. Time to look at other tires, other than Fusion's. Not a bad looking tire, grips better than I expected, just the whine pitch & loudness must go.

Originally Posted By: gaijinnv

Is there a question?

confused2.gif

According to DT web site:

Special Order
The time it takes to obtain "Special Order" product can vary depending on manufacturer availability. If you order this product online, we will contact you within 1 business day to confirm the exact availability.

Glad to do the clicking for you
crazy.gif

Sometime, the "Special Order" means that you/we don't qualify for the other discounts that would apply to tires in stock. With maybe the exception of the tire MFG Rebate

If I understand how Discount Tire (DTC) works:

There isn't enough room to stock every store with every size and design of tire. So each store decides what they will stock - with help from the corporate offices.

There are also warehouses that supply a group of stores - and not every tire is in each of those warehouses.

So "Special Order" means the tire in question isn't stocked in the store you've indicated - BUT - is available and can be shipped there. It may take some time for that to happen.

Shipping cost? Ask them.

Thanks for the replies.
I had resulted in 11 stores within 21.9 miles and all of those said Special Order. Didn't click around enough I guess to confirm exactly what DT meant by that.
So possible extra charges and I'm okay with that, time is up to whatever it takes them to get a set in.

Tire I was referring to are the Goodyear Assurance Touring.
One of the lesser cost tires in the line of the size I looked at, and got decent survey results @ TR too.
I may still consider them since I'm not in a must have in a day or two, but I don't think I can wait to get fresh soles on the SUV close to end of year. Maybe some sales around Labor Day holiday, if I can put up with the whine that long. Just an annoying whine from the tires right now.

Thanks again for the replies. I'll think on it over another cup of go-juice. Might make a visit to DT today (depending how the day goes), next week or so, then see what happens.

Goodyear Assurance Touring - will still keep in mind.

I suppose I've "special ordered" from DT at least a couple times. What that means to me is, they don't have the tire currently in stock but can get it. In my experience with the Gen Altimax HP's and Yoko Avid Touring S, they had the tires within 48 hrs of me visiting the store and ordering. Generally they like/prefer something down, but that's more just to make sure you come back.

Never paid more for the "special order", in fact both tire sets were a match to lowest price I could find online. The HP's were to Treadepot, and the Avid Touring to DT's sister company DT Direct.

As always your experience may vary somewhat, especially on delivery.

EDIT, I will add that if there is a current DT promo specifying in stock only tires, then the promo price may not apply. But having purchased many tires from DT, they have negotiation freedom there too.

Last edited:
Adding another consideration ( Michelin Defender) as it seems to get nice surveys also on TR, and all stores show them in stock.

So the "Special Order" throws in another consideration should I have a problem with a tire, and if the tire needs to be replaced, sounds like they normally don't/won't have it in stock. Something to think about.

Well time to roll... and might squeeze a trip to DT depending how things go, and if I can before triple digits set in today.

Back - got the Michelin Defender tires.
The high pitch whine is gone as expected. Yeah!

Surprised they took off another $80 (trade-in) which I didn't expect, especially for something I didn't buy there, or something they don't carry/sell. Never knew/expected it.
Also, $70 rebate (did the online rebate thing).

Although fresh, they (Defender) ride quiet and smooth, plus steering is responsive. Already did a little freeway run too.
Treadwear 820 (wow)
Warranty 90k

I also didn't know about the Michelin Promise Plan.

So got there, discussed a few tires, then once I said throw the Defenders on, they were on it in about 10 minutes.

The special order GY's, would have taken a couple days... so I passed.

No more Fuzion tires for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back