2014 Mazda 3 unveiled...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it a bit hard to believe that economies of scale change very much once production gets into the millions. Also their production per platform must be decent as well? With only 3? mazda3/mazda5/cx5 and mazda6/cx7 and the miata platforms.
But it would be interesting to see them work with fiat.

I've a 2001SE Miata and 2002 Protege5 (manual). I have had an excellent ownership experience. I see them as a poor man's BMW with the provisio that a Mazda is great for long term ownership.

I have zero regrets about the P5 in comparison to the same model year Civic. Will be looking at the new 3 for my daughter.

Overall, looks pretty great. The stereo/nav system is just funky looking. If it has a easy plug and play option that makes sense though. Would be a nice feature to easily update your unit a few years down the road.

And what's up with those gauges? The auto has a big tach in the middle and a digital speedo below it? But the manual trans has a big speedo with a digital tach on the left? Weird. Don't think I'm a fan. And I've always disliked digital tachs.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jigen
And what's up with those gauges? The auto has a big tach in the middle and a digital speedo below it? But the manual trans has a big speedo with a digital tach on the left? Weird.

Yes, I've noticed that, too. To me, having a central tach would make more sense with the manual. Not sure why they did this backwards.

Saw one driving down the street yesterday - same color as all the test/promo cars and had the nav and sunroof. DLR plates.
Looks nice, but I think they could use a wagon version now too. The hatch looks too shortened (probably don't want to cannibalize CX5 sales, though).

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: jigen
And what's up with those gauges? The auto has a big tach in the middle and a digital speedo below it? But the manual trans has a big speedo with a digital tach on the left? Weird.

Yes, I've noticed that, too. To me, having a central tach would make more sense with the manual. Not sure why they did this backwards.

Yeah, I agree with you guys - not too sure about the giant tach.
crazy2.gif

Nice looking car though.

According to Edmunds the large tach is central in the automatic, while the speedo is central in the manual, with a digital tach off to the left. Seems backward to me.

Originally Posted By: LC
Any idea when these will hit the showroom?

September '13.

Here is a picture of the manual showing a tac. Perhaps it's digital and can be set to show either RPM or speed, depending on your preference?

Mazda-3_2014_800x600_wallpaper_69.jpg

In any case. I'm not too fond of the new interior direction. Here is how the lower end models will look like and to be honest, while the LCD screen looked kinda OK, I don't think a regular radio looks good in the same location. And where is the CD player? Or did they decide to drop it?
I would have to see the interior in person, but for now, I'm not a fan. If you drop the pod, the interior would have a BMW 3 series look to it, which would be much better IMO.

2014-Mazda3-interior-cockpit.jpg

2014-Mazda3-media-controls.jpg

Here is a picture of the new Audi S3. The big difference here is that the LCD screen is probably motorized and can be hidden out of view when not used.

2014-audi-s3-sportback-interior-photo-501440-s-1280x782.jpg

Last edited:
That crazy manifold is great! By sealing all that stuff up, you get the bottom end torque of long tube headers, but so much heat that gets retained that cat light off time is the same for a car with an iron log manifold or a head with exhaust ports merged inside of it.

The first thing I am wondering is if there will be a Mazdaspeed3 and what will it be like?

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Any 'tuner' who thinks they can replace that exhaust manifold with 'headers' and pick up HP would be a complete moron. Talk about engineered!

I saw an episode of horsepower tv where they tested equal length long tubes,shorties and a 4 into 2 header.
They showed that shorties made less power across the board. Like 10hp/tq. The long tubes made the most hp. But the 4 into 2 pipes made 20tq more than the long tubes did,and right off idle. I contemplated a 4 into 2 header but they aren't made for a 4v.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Originally Posted By: surfstar
Any 'tuner' who thinks they can replace that exhaust manifold with 'headers' and pick up HP would be a complete moron. Talk about engineered!

I saw an episode of horsepower tv where they tested equal length long tubes,shorties and a 4 into 2 header.
They showed that shorties made less power across the board. Like 10hp/tq. The long tubes made the most hp. But the 4 into 2 pipes made 20tq more than the long tubes did,and right off idle. I contemplated a 4 into 2 header but they aren't made for a 4v.

But you can't speak about one type of engine and cross those results over to a completely different one. 4 bangers are 180 degree firing, completely different exhaust scavenging strategy from a V8 that fires every 90 degrees.

No CD player would be a deal breaker for me. Call me too old fashioned I guess.

To be honest, knowing how people car shop, that plug-in style stereo setup might turn off a good amount of people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back