Oil gray after 15 miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked up a VW Jetta 1996 with a 2.0 i did an oil change and the oil that came out was horrid, looked 5 years old, the PO said he cant remember when the oil was last changed, it was black like coffee and like water, i put in Shell R T5 10-40 and after 15 miles, yes 15 miles the new oil is gray and thin as all [censored]. It does not even look like oil. The car seems to run fine. No strange noise at all.

I think im going to change it again.

I took this picture, its actually a smokey dark gray color.

1075783_225760857571329_600638624_n.jpg

Just getting the soot out of the engine. If the rest of it is as neglected (eg ignition) you've got more work to do.

I just looked under the oil cap and now there is a a lot of debris, im going to change the oil again and see what comes out, im also going to pour a qt of oil in with the drain open.

Oil contamination?? This is one of the very few reasons to do a UOA. Collant or fuel presant in the oil. I would take a sample and check it out.

You said the old oil was like water and your new fairly thick oil was thinned after 15 miles. As the others are saying that has to be fuel or coolant. Would be more concerned about the oil thinning then address the color

That sounds pretty reasonable for one of those. You've chosen a good oil. Change it once a year or when you see too many or too large of chunks sticking to the dipstick and it'll be fine. Those engines produce extreme amounts of hard black sludge that somehow never kills them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back