Reading Dipstick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anybody else have a dipstick which does not read the same level all the way around?

I can read a high point and a low point for oil on both my vehicles dipsticks. And no, I'm not parked on an incline!

The dipstick on my 2006 Nissan Murano is the worst dipstick I have ever used. You must wait over an hour after turning off the engine to read the level. Oil is much higher (still draining down) on one side (unmarked) until that time, I usually check in the morning.

There is even a warning NOT TO LEAVE THE DIPSTICK OUT WHILE ADDING OIL, what the heck, would oil leak out of the dipstick hole?

Originally Posted By: TrevorS
Does anybody else have a dipstick which does not read the same level all the way around?

I can read a high point and a low point for oil on both my vehicles dipsticks. And no, I'm not parked on an incline!

Your vehicle may not be parked on an incline, but the dipstick probably IS on an incline. They rarely go "straight" into the engine sump at the bottom. Most angle in, giving the impression of an "angled" oil level.

My vehicle states that engine off for 5 or more minutes before checking the oil level. I read the higher side but, find it only veries very little. Ed

Originally Posted By: Falken
My Cobalt had the worst dipstick I have ever used.

A little molded on metal nugget. And if your oil was very clear, good luck.

+1

My Cadillac Northstars used BROWN PLASTIC nuggets. You *really* had to look for the liquid line then. And unless or until you wiped it on a rag, it was impossible to tell the oil's color.

Next time you change oil, leave 1qt out. Start engine let idle and sit for a couple of minutes. Figure out which way you are going to read dipstick from now on. Look at oil level on dipstick, this is exactly 1qt low. Mark dipstick if other than 1qt low mark. Add 1qt, let it sit a couple of minutes. Re-read dipstick, this is exactly full. Mark full line if different than full line. This is the only way to tell exactly of your dipstick in your engine/car is right.
If oil is too clean to read on dipstick, lay it on clean paper towel while noting where oil line is on dipstick.
Long post, had to make it how my head sees it!

Originally Posted By: Corvette Owner
The dipstick on my 2006 Nissan Murano is the worst dipstick I have ever used. You must wait over an hour after turning off the engine to read the level. Oil is much higher (still draining down) on one side (unmarked) until that time, I usually check in the morning.

On the bright side, oil is coating the engine longer.

The orange plastic dipticks Honda used in the mid 2000's (may still use?) are extremely annoying. Like you said, if the oil's new, and it's not a sunny day, good luck with that...

If a company ever marketed an oil dye that was cheap and can be added 1 or 2oz to your crankcase during an oil change, I'd be game.

Maybe a nice bright blue?

Or maybe Royal Purple patented the concept...

If a company ever marketed an oil dye that was cheap and can be added 1 or 2oz to your crankcase during an oil change, I'd be game.

Maybe a nice bright blue?

Or maybe Royal Purple patented the concept...

Its called UV leak dye, bright green.

Can anybody explain this behavior?

I check the oil every Sunday morning. When I first take the dipstick out, the oil looks blacker than when I take the second reading right after wiping the dipstick. I have MOS2 in the sump.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Can anybody explain this behavior?

I check the oil every Sunday morning. When I first take the dipstick out, the oil looks blacker than when I take the second reading right after wiping the dipstick. I have MOS2 in the sump.

Just a guess... your getting a little combustion byproduct buildup on the stick metal since last check (wipe)- almost like in the same line of a little slight varnish tarnish.
So then after wiping the stick, your getting a dip into the oil, no combustion gone on between 1st check, wipe, to second check.
So your getting a weeks worth of a little buildup on the stick.
Something like that..... I know... I'm talking out my arse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back