seafoam flush in crankcase???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of doing a crankcase flush with seafoam. I emailed seafoam for more detailed instructions and this is what they told me...

As a pre service cleaner, use 1 1/2 ounces of Sea Foam per quart of crankcase oil capacity into your oil a minimum of 30 minutes driving time before you have your LOF service performed, a maximum of about 200 miles drive time. As an after service additive, Sea Foam will make your oil get dirty faster than normal, as it cleans old oil residue back into a liquid so that it may re mix with the oil and contaminants may be filtered out by your oil filter. As an after service additive, since the amount of deteriorated old oil residue present will be different in each vehicle, we recommend the same amount of Sea Foam be added to your fresh crankcase oil, then you MONITOR the color and clarity of your oil at either mileage or timed intervals to determine when your next LOF service should be performed. Your oil may get dirty, faster than normal, as your new oil and Sea Foam clean old oil residue back into liquid and contaminants are filtered out.When your oil gets dirty, CHANGE IT!

This seems to be a pretty gentle flush. What do yall think. I know auto-rx is preferred but I don't have any and I kinda want to do this tomorrow. The vehicle I will be doing it to is a 1991 S10 pickup 4.3V6 with about 130k on it. Also, we will be adjusting the valve lash on the motor afterwards.

I tried it once. It didn't help to unstick some rings, and seemed to make for foamy oil when I changed it, so I haven't tried it again.

tsmay51,

I have never used Seafoam. I am a long time user of Auto-Rx and it has worked great for me I also use the maintenance dose.

ARX worked wonders on my 1990 S10/4.3. Achieved the best emission readings at 125,000 on the clock, compared to every annual test previous.

we beat this to death on the maxima board, ultimately deciding (at least for me) that Auto Rx is way better in just about every way, and i fear that seafoam would lead to more wear, its too thin

-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back