Transfer case - Sealant for assembling halves

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best sealant to use to assemble transfer case halves to each other? Last thing I want is a leak to deal with after putting this thing back together.
Does it need to set for any period of time before adding fluid?

Also, anyone know the torque setting for assembling the 2 halves together on a 98 Expedition 5.4 BW 4406 transfer case

Yamaha's yama-bond4 best stuff I ever used. Have used it on hundreds of machined cases and never a leak.

Originally Posted By: VNTS
What does the OEM call for, what does FSM say?

Always the best bet.

Permatex Ultra Grey is popular to seal stuff like split cases in engines/transmissions/transfer cases. Works great where you have two machined surfaces that mount up where nothing but liquid sealer is specced (no rubber/paper gaskets).

Hondabond is popular as well, but harder to get and more expensive.

EDIT: Ditto on the Yamabond, good stuff.

Last edited:
Any of the mentioned will work.

The user prep and skills will mean more than using any specific one of those.

Ford probably calls for their Motorcraft Grey sealant, which is similar to the Yamabond product. It is called for on the side of the oil pan of the 7.3L powerstroke, so exposure to oil is part of the product's design parameters. I've used it with great success on pretty much anything that required a bead of sealant, I would just grab some from the local Ford dealer if I were in your shoes.

Originally Posted By: Smoky14
Yamaha's yama-bond4 best stuff I ever used. Have used it on hundreds of machined cases and never a leak.

I've never used Yamabond 4, but Yamabond 3 is magic stuff.

We use in on Lycoming aircraft engine case halves when the engine is going into an experimental. Never leaks, ever. Unlike all the other alternatives.

Permatex also makes a specific gear oil sealant. Gray stuff in a shiny tube. I've used it a couple of times but don't have any data otherwise. I imagine it is a fine option as well.

I got the yamabond 4. 10.00 for a decent size tube.
I have the option on my rear tail housing of my transfer case to use a paper gasket or the yamabond.
Which would be better?
Also if the paper gasket, is that set dry?

I use an anaerobic sealer on metal to metal cases. Subaru oil pumps use RTV but any excess can break loose and clog the passages.
Anaerobic sealer does not harden outside the mating surface making it a non issue, it works better than RTV also in this type application (cases) where RTV may change clearances.

A thin coat of Indian head shellac works great on paper gaskets. Personally i'm not a big fan of RTV and only use it if there is no other option.

Permatex

When using the paper gasket, is it better to use no additional sealant if possible, or should something be used with the paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back