Racing oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been running royal purple 10w40 in the last 3 race motors that I've had. I haven't had any bearing failures or issues, or really any reason to change brand, other then the fact that I'm going to have another motor built soon, and just curious what's best out on the market right now.

What has the best additives between these racing oils:

Royal Purple 10w40 XPR
Joe Gibbs 10w30 XP3
Valvoline 10w30 Synthetic racing oil
Brad Penn high performance

The motor is a solid roller setup.

Thanks for any and all help

Originally Posted By: GilroyRacing
I have been running royal purple 10w40 in the last 3 race motors that I've had. I haven't had any bearing failures or issues, or really any reason to change brand, other then the fact that I'm going to have another motor built soon, and just curious what's best out on the market right now.

What has the best additives between these racing oils:

Royal Purple 10w40 XPR
Joe Gibbs 10w30 XP3
Valvoline 10w30 Synthetic racing oil
Brad Penn high performance

The motor is a solid roller setup.

Thanks for any and all help

There is "no best"

Keep using RP if yoour having good luck with it. I know people @ our track are mostly running:

brad penn

Amsoil

Valvoline VR1

Royal Purple

Best is being used loosely of course, I was just wondering whose additives had better anti wear protection ECT....

It's a [censored] shoot. All the above mentioned oils are good. As far as what's the best. Who knows. I know guys that run M1, Brad Penn, and Valvoline VR1 and all have good results. No blown engines or exessive wear. If RP is doing good for you, stay with it.

On your list I would stick with the XPR. Mobil 1 also offers a good race oil, but it isn't for extended drains or even normal drains. It will need to be changed out after every race. It's tough to get info on the RP oils.

Motul 300V is a good race oil and I just tried the Millers race oil in my Shelby and am waiting on a UOA right now.

I dumped the Millers 2 weeks ago and actually filled with XPR 10W-40 so I will have a UOA on your oil in a month or so.

I am putting these oils in a 2013 Shelby with about 700whp and a 2003 Evo with about 800whp that I drive on the street and drag race on weekends. I have always wanted to try the Mobil 1 race oil but it truly isn't suitable for a street car at all and the others are.

Keep an eye out for my UOA's.

On your list I would stick with the XPR. Mobil 1 also offers a good race oil, but it isn't for extended drains or even normal drains. It will need to be changed out after every race. It's tough to get info on the RP oils.

Motul 300V is a good race oil and I just tried the Millers race oil in my Shelby and am waiting on a UOA right now.

I dumped the Millers 2 weeks ago and actually filled with XPR 10W-40 so I will have a UOA on your oil in a month or so.

I am putting these oils in a 2013 Shelby with about 700whp and a 2003 Evo with about 800whp that I drive on the street and drag race on weekends. I have always wanted to try the Mobil 1 race oil but it truly isn't suitable for a street car at all and the others are.

Originally Posted By: mase

Which weight Millers did you use in the Super Stang??

I don't think you have mentioned what type of racing you do but if it's drag racing then I would suggest a lighter higher VI oil determined of course by oil pressure since you're not seeing high oil temp's.

I'd suggest starting with Red Line 0W-40. With it's 190 VI it will be very much lighter on start-up and on the off chance that the oil is lighter than you want at operating temp's it can be thickened up with a few ounces of RL 10W-60 or thinned out with some RL 0W-20.

Until I see irrefutable proof otherwise I am with the posters who (1)tell you to stay with RP if it is working for you and (2). There is no best oil. Knowing human nature a lot of posters want to be told some oil they have not tried is best so they have a good reason/excuse to try it...but you know what...as soon as they have that notch on their shifter they will go looking for the next "best oil.". Try 'em all if that is what you are really after. Cheers

PS I am an "oilyophile" so I will freely admit I cannot settle on one "after GC" so bring on the Helix Ultra and the Liqui Moly... And the Fuchs....,and...well you get the idea

Last edited:
Are you doing in-depth teardown inspections of your engines to see how they are wearing? If you see indications that lube performance could be better, change to a different lube and monitor the outcome. RP's XPR oils are well thought of here for wear protection based on their Synerlec additive. If you have a long history of good performance using RP and don't see any potential problems based on teardown inspections, there is no need to change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back