Mobil 1 AFE

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this has been discussed a million times, then pardon my repetition. I am curious about the validity of the claims of AFE. Any actual users out there who can attest to it? No M1 bashing please, I am simply curious as it seems that I **could** glean a free tank per year according to the website. This is from the M1 AFE calculator on the M1 site using my FX4 as input.

7mo4.jpg

This is the only Mobil product I would try.

Good UOAs as well, but I do understand they may overestimate a bit but no big deal.

I like seeing my mileage increase, even if it is a small amount.

It's all in the fine print. All things equal,lower viscosity is better mpg than higher viscosity.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
It's all in the fine print. All things equal,lower viscosity is better mpg than higher viscosity.

Is there really that much difference between 5W-20 and 0W-20?

Oils can be very different.

That is why there is so much segmentation amongst brands.

If you compare, by watching alone, the difference in pouring Toyota or Idemitsu 0W20 compared to pouring Pennzoil Ultra SN 5W20, you would be led to believe one is much thinner.

And thinner means less rotational drag.

Like running through water or running through, um, thicker water.

smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 2010_FX4
Originally Posted By: FZ1

Is there really that much difference between 5W-20 and 0W-20?

There can be. Viscosity index plays a big role in drag at start up,then viscosity at operating temp.
All things considered less drag means less fuel consumption.

You have a good thing going with MS5K. Why even bother with a more expensive option? You won't see much of a bump in fuel economy at all.

Originally Posted By: salv
You have a good thing going with MS5K. Why even bother with a more expensive option? You won't see much of a bump in fuel economy at all.

I am not considering switching to M1 in my FX4, I am just curious about the claims about AFE (extending knowledge you know). My wife may be buying a new car soon and I wanted to learn a bit about AFE in the event it becomes an oil of choice for the new car.

I've mentioned this a few times before in other threads...0-20 afe decreased mpg in my civic as it approached 200k miles. This was vs 5w-20 m1 EP & m1. This was a well worn engine...so YMMV...literally.

As far as mpg goes, I wish there was more emphasis on lighter cars and less on lighter oils.

I am not considering switching to M1 in my FX4, I am just curious about the claims about AFE (extending knowledge you know). My wife may be buying a new car soon and I wanted to learn a bit about AFE in the event it becomes an oil of choice for the new car.

why not consider it? let us know. you are one of the few here that performs long term proof giving test with your truck. maybe consider using AFE 0w20 for the next year and let us know if it does in fact improve your mileage and retain long drain intervals like MS5K.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08

why not consider it? let us know. you are one of the few here that performs long term proof giving test with your truck. maybe consider using AFE 0w20 for the next year and let us know if it does in fact improve your mileage and retain long drain intervals like MS5K.

I feel very confident the AFE could go 10K like the MS5K, but I have too much MS5K to switch
grin.gif
!! I bought gallons of it when OR and AZ had the specials going so that I could complete my experiment. On the other hand, the stash that I bought for my Dad could be "converted" to AFE (he no longer needs it since his truck was totaled). Hmmmmm...always a decision to be made here on BITOG
wink.gif

M1 AFE 0W-20 is an improvement in fuel economy over most 5W-20's but as others have alluded, the ultra high VI OEM 0W-20's such as the Mobil made Toyota 0W-20 and the Idemitsu made Mazda 0W-20 are the oils to use to maximize fuel economy.
For example TGMO is 35% lighter at 32F, 25% lighter at room temperature and still significantly lighter at normal operating temp's compared to AFE.

According to this piece of literature, the improvement is 0.4 to 0.6 mpg...presumably over 5w20:

http://www.pinkbird.com/news.nsf/8d7e3f1a0a36785e852576c4004b311e/cee95198e6905ef3852576c4004b92fe/$FILE/0W-20%20Time%20Has%20Come.pdf

The M1 AFE 0W-20 seems to be the popular offering by local Toyota dealerships for dealer oil changes. But that can obviously change as easily as a price increase by the oil distributor.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
According to this piece of literature, the improvement is 0.4 to 0.6 mpg...presumably over 5w20:

http://www.pinkbird.com/news.nsf/8d7e3f1a0a36785e852576c4004b311e/cee95198e6905ef3852576c4004b92fe/$FILE/0W-20%20Time%20Has%20Come.pdf

Critic,
link says "over 5W-30", Mobil website offers the same savings for the 0W-20 AFE as the 0W-30 AFE, "over most commonly used viscosity"...no list of viscosity. The pic in the OP has savings over "higher viscosity" oils...

Interestingly, the AFE is not offered as providing "ultimate protection" on the Mobil website. Tried their website recommendations for Camrys and BRZs etc. and the AFE is not mobil's recommendation for "ultimate protection"...then got timed out on repeat searches.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Originally Posted By: Shannow
2% over a 40 weight...your call where you spend your money.

No Mobil is claiming 2% over a 5W-20 dino.

Show me the claim...doesn't say that on the Mobil website.

Since you wanted feedback from actual users, here it goes. The best thing about AFE that I have noticed is that the Tacoma feels different. It seems to rev freer, it is quieter right after startup, after the initial warmup the engine seems happier to perform any chore, from lugging along at 1300 RPM's in higher gears on KC's long boulevards, to hauling 1300 lb loads. As far as fuel mileage goes, I have a Ultragauge, and while the seasons here make a big difference in fuel mileage here in KC, with the help of the Ultragauge I believe my mileage is a solid 1 MPG better than when using a 5w-20 or 5w-30. Not scientific findings but a genuine seat of the pants observation. My current fill is the last of my AFE and I have a large stash of other oils to use and they are all 5w-xx, some dino and some syn. We will see if the Tacoma likes them as much as the AFE. I initially bought AFE because I always want to try a 0w-20 and AAP they had a Black Friday specail for $3.99, so I gave it a try.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back