Bonanza engine failure on takeoff, 3 video cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alaskan Bonanza engine failure and crash

Pilot did a great job and made all decisions quickly, properly and with good results. Still, it's interesting to view all 3 cameras.

I think the first camera broke off when he landed in the field.

If you listen carefully, you can hear the engine stop.

Last edited:
Most engine failures are survivable if the pilot stays in control.

They turn fatal when the pilot tries to turn back, or stretch a glide, gets slow, stalls/spins into the ground. That vertical fall is fatal.

A straight ahead crash at best glide speed hurts, but you generally walk away...thus meeting the simple pilot definition of a "good landing"....one from which you can walk away...

They don't make very good gliders, do they?

An acquaintance of mine lost an engine on takeoff, and she did exactly what she was supposed to do - land straight ahead under control.

And she did walk away from it.

Not to hi-jack this thread, but have you seen the movie "Flight"? Is it really possible to fly the plane upside down like he did in the movie or is that just "Hollywood antics"?

Someone did a good write-up in the comments.

"Three high definition cameras were mounted to my Beechcraft Bonanza when the engine quit on takeoff from Fairbanks Alaska, One was pointed forward, one to the right side, and one to the rear. All three cameras caught the crash as it happened in HD. Both people on board survived with only minor injuries, but the airplane didn't.

The airplane was beautiful and well maintained with a brand new engine that suddenly quit about 200 feet above the ground. There was 22 seconds from the time of engine failure to impact. NTSB has not yet determined the cause of the crash and the engine has been successfully ran on a test stand. The engine quit without warning, no power surge, no hesitation, no advance sign of trouble at all. I had not previously had any signs of any issues with my airframe or engine.

If you watch closely you'll notice that after the engine failure I initially began a slight left turn thinking the road would be a good place to land because of obstructions elsewhere. Within a second or so I saw power lines beside the road and turned right to avoid a pistol range and a derelict DC-6 that was straight ahead.

From the last annual I knew the landing gear extension time was 12 seconds so I decided to leave it retracted since I didn't want to touch down with the gear in transition. I touched down as slowly as possible, just above a stall with the nose just slightly high. Any higher and the fuselage could have slapped down hard causing greater injuries to the spine and any lower the speed would have been higher and cause more frontal damage which could have shoved the yoke back into my chest more than it did."

Aircraft info
http://flightaware.com/resources/registration/N334DH

Prelim report
http://kathrynaviationnews.com/?p=72103

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Not to hi-jack this thread, but have you seen the movie "Flight"? Is it really possible to fly the plane upside down like he did in the movie or is that just "Hollywood antics"?

Silly hollywood junk. Without systems designed for inverted flight, nothing works properly, including engines which results in loss of hydraulics and electrical systems, fuel systems won't work inverted either. The biggest problem is loss of flight controls, due to hydraulic pressure loss.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Silly hollywood junk. Without systems designed for inverted flight, nothing works properly, including engines which results in loss of hydraulics and electrical systems, fuel systems won't work inverted either. The biggest problem is loss of flight controls, due to hydraulic pressure loss.

You can always fly upside down with 'positive G', all the systems perform as they would in upright flight. Of course you would become limited on the amount of time inverted with a 'nose up, roll inverted & pull type' maneuver. Full blown inverted flight is uncomfortable when the body isn't used to it. Normally we have weight on the butt, that's what we're used to.

Search "Tex Johnston Dash 80 roll"

If you haven't seen it, you'll be impressed... If you have, you'll still be impressed
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Impressive landing considering the circumstances.

Bob Hoover was a master of flying with the engines off:

Amazing skill!

Looks like an Aero Commander. I got to work on a turboprop version (known as the Turbo Commander) while in aircraft mech school.

Boeing test pilot Tex Johnston demonstrates a barrel roll in the 707 prototype, the Dash 80, for potential airline customers over Lake Washington in 1955:

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
Originally Posted By: Cujet

You can always fly upside down with 'positive G', all the systems perform as they would in upright flight. Of course you would become limited on the amount of time inverted with a 'nose up, roll inverted & pull type' maneuver. Full blown inverted flight is uncomfortable when the body isn't used to it. Normally we have weight on the butt, that's what we're used to.
It's why the Germans had fuel injection on their V12 areo engines at the start of WWII.

My friend Bob Hoover can even roll a plane while pouring ice tea...

Bob Hoover and I sitting down at the Reno Air Races...
370971110_196cff190c.jpg

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
Don't forget the late Art Scholl

I can't forget Art preforming his low level Lomcevak... mercy what a sight... he's one of the reason why I own a DHC1 Chipmunk...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back